Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1257090

banned8

@Kergie:

Λόγος (ΛΟΓΟΣ) is Logos in English.

Μύθος (ΜΥΘΟΣ) is transliterated as Mythos and in English it is 'myth'.

amana22

• Semi-Newbie
Hello. I am looking to get this as a tattoo- curious to see what it looks like in Greek. Not sure if it matters, but I am female. and fire refers to the element primarily, but also the verb. not sure if i can have it both ways visually, but metaphorically it is intended to. Thank you so much!

amanda

billberg23

• Words ail me.

Ross

• Semi-Newbie
Hello everybody :) I've just created an account here having seen the amazingly detailed help offered! Nickel, wings and billberg... you're awesome! hehe...

I'm looking for a phrase in Greek if anyone could suggest it, and also a confirmation on the word 'Believe' in Greek too! Also, to add to my list ( :P ) I'd really appreciate it if anyone could tell me whether the word 'Believe' as I have it is in Modern or Ancient Greek - I haven't been able to find out myself.

The word 'Believe' as I have it is: πιστεύω

The phrase I'm looking for is 'Live and Learn', or something similar if possible :)

Thanks a lot!!! :D

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I'd really appreciate it if anyone could tell me whether the word 'Believe' as I have it is in Modern or Ancient Greek - I haven't been able to find out myself.

The word 'Believe' as I have it is: πιστεύω

The phrase I'm looking for is 'Live and Learn', or something similar if possible :)
You have the right word, Ross:  it means "I believe" in both ancient and modern Greek.

Perennially, the most popular equivalent of "Live and Learn" in the Greek literary tradition is ΠΑΘΕΙ ΜΑΘΟΣ (lower case πάθει μάθος), from Aeschylus' Agamemnon, verse 177.  Literally, it means "Learning by undergoing" or "Learn through suffering."
« Last Edit: 27 Jun, 2011, 21:22:25 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
P.S. @ Ross:  It occurs to me that you may not want the first person form πιστεύω ("I believe").  In Greek, there's no way to separate out the simple verb stem, as we do in English.  You can, however, choose the infinitive πιστεύειν ("to believe"), the imperative πίστευε ("believe!"), or the noun ἡ πίστις ("belief").

amana22

• Semi-Newbie
thank you for the translation help! Sorry for the 2nd posting, wasnt exactly sure where to look for that first posting.

amanda

russanod

• Semi-Newbie
Hi everyone,

im getting a tattoo done on sunday, and i was wondering if anyone could translate:

"Speak Your Mind"

and "Wisdom Begins in Wonder"

Thank you all so very much!

billberg23

• Words ail me.
"Speak Your Mind"
and "Wisdom Begins in Wonder"
1. Singular:  παρρησιάζου
    Plural:      παρρησιάζεσθε

2.  Διά τὸ θαυμάζειν ἡ σοφία

(See also https://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php?topic=309.msg65481#msg65481
 message #785.
« Last Edit: 20 Jun, 2007, 23:10:53 by billberg23 »

tslave484

• Semi-Newbie
Good Afternoon,
I am planning on getting a tattoo that says "Slave to no man", or something along those lines.
The idea came to me from the passage in the bible (1 Corinthians 7:23) that says "You were bought with a price, do not be a slave to men."
Could you translate both phrases for me, in ancient greek please?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Good Afternoon,
I am planning on getting a tattoo that says "Slave to no man", or something along those lines.
The idea came to me from the passage in the bible (1 Corinthians 7:23) that says "You were bought with a price, do not be a slave to men."
Could you translate both phrases for me, in ancient greek please?
Sure.  Scripture first: Τιμῆς ἠγοράσθητε·  μὴ γίνεσθε δοῦλοι ἀνθρώπων.

Tattoo:  οὐδενὸς ἀνθρώπου δοῦλος           upper case:  ΟΥΔΕΝΟΣ ΑΝΘΡΩΠΟΥ ΔΟΥΛΟΣ
« Last Edit: 29 Jun, 2011, 01:58:51 by billberg23 »

Timothy

“The energy of the mind is the essence of life.” - Aristotle

I was wondering if you might be able to tell me the origin of this quote.  I have searched on my own and have found nothing substantial.  The moderators here seem to have a large amount of resources for situations such as these.  I am also interested in seeing it in it's original text.  Thank you.

russanod

• Semi-Newbie
1. Singular:  παρρησιάζου
    Plural:      παρρησιάζεσθε

2.  Διά τὸ θαυμάζειν ἡ σοφία

(See also https://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php?topic=309.msg65481#msg65481
 message #785.

Thank you for translating for me! However, when you distinguish b/t singular and plural, what exactly are you referring to? I hope you forgive my ignorance in this area. I am familiar with ancient greek only in that i adore classical philsophy and nothing else, thank you! :)

Vernont005

• Semi-Newbie
I am looking for a translation of

'i am you and you are me'

into Ancient Greek.

I'd appreciate any help.  Thank you for your attention

Search Tools