Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1257620

Ghettofu

• Semi-Newbie
To whomever it may concern:
I'm new to this but I was wondering if someone could translate the following two phrases for me into ancient Greek. I would really appreciate it. My friend and I are planning to get these tattoos and I just want to make sure we get the correct translation --and this is the perfect forum for it! Thanks!

1) Are you part of my abyss of my upheaval?

2) To see a world in a grain of sand

Thank you so much! Also, if you could provide it in a girlier font, that would be great! thanks!!

billberg23

• Words ail me.
1) Are you part of my abyss of my upheaval?

2) To see a world in a grain of sand

Thank you so much! Also, if you could provide it in a girlier font, that would be great! thanks!!
Could you elaborate a bit on the first one?  Greek loves specific detail, and that's missing from "my abyss of my upheaval."

As for the second, see the earlier reply at https://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php?topic=309.msg59329/topicseen#msg59329 (reply #681).

DLC

• Semi-Newbie
Hey I was hoping someone could give me some help with a translation I would need to get a tatoo it is ( In The Valley 10 stand united) please if anyone can help that would be much appreciated Thank you in advance.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
@ DLC:

Ιn the valley ten stand united =

Ἐν ταῖς πτυχαῖς συνίστανται οἱ δέκα.

Pegleg2.0

• Semi-Newbie
I was Wondering how to translate "The Only Constant Is Change" into acient greek...?

pocketsk

• Semi-Newbie
i would greatly appreciate any help in translation this into ancient greek. thanks

"Never Forget Compassion"

billberg23

• Words ail me.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
"Never Forget Compassion"
ΕΛΕΟΥΣ ΜΗΠΟΤΕ ΛΗΘΕΣΘΑΙ             ἐλέους μήποτε λήθεσθαι

Timothy

In Plutarch, this is:
Γηράσκω δ’ αιεί πολλά διδασκόμενος.
i.e. Γηράσκω / δ' αιεί / πολλά / διδασκόμενος = I grow old / always / many things / being taught.

The better known form of this saying, still often used in modern Greek, is:
Γηράσκω αεί διδασκόμενος.

Does the modern expression translate to "I grow old always being taught"?  Is it just a simplified/common day expression?

mavrodon

Does the modern expression translate to "I grow old always being taught"?  Is it just a simplified/common day expression?

It is still in use in modern Greek, although the expression is in ancient Greek. This adage, attributed to Socrates, with another saying, also said by Soctrates (έν οίδα ότι ουδέν οίδα = I know only one thing, that I know nothing)  are, to my opinion, the most important quotes one must always bear in mind.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Yes, that's what it means:  we should never stop learning new things.
The quotation is actually from Solon, the Athenian lawgiver, one of the Seven Sages of ancient Greece (6th century B.C.).  He uses the line to end an elegiac poem to Mimnermus, a fellow poet (fr. 22 Diehl).
« Last Edit: 15 Aug, 2007, 09:10:30 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
If you search Google you will find that this expression is widely attributed to Socrates.
Yes, it's always a healthy thing to be reminded of Google's limitations!
At least Plutarch gets it right:  http://el.wikisource.org/wiki/%CE%A3%CF%8C%CE%BB%CF%89%CE%BD
« Last Edit: 15 Aug, 2007, 09:33:32 by billberg23 »

stephibabi1990

• Semi-Newbie
i want to get a tattoo sayin mother in ancient greek but dont know how to write it lol

billberg23

• Words ail me.
i want to get a tattoo sayin mother in ancient greek but dont know how to write it lol
ΜΗΤΗΡ         Lower case:  μήτηρ

Search Tools