Πόθεν κατεπέμφθης εἰς ταύτην γε τὴν πόλιν ὅπως τοῖς ἐννέα καλοῖς γραφεῦσι, τοῖς τῶν θεῶν ἐρμηνεῦσι, δῶρά πως διδοίης αὐτή; τῇ γὰρ γραφικῇ τὴν τῆς ἀρετῆς φύσιν τοῖς νεᾱνίαις ἀληθῶς που δεδηλώκᾱσιν οὗτοι. δικαίως οὖν τῑμηθέντων ὐπὸ πάντων.

jmorsay

Πόθεν κατεπέμφθης εἰς ταύτην γε τὴν πόλιν ὅπως τοῖς ἐννέα καλοῖς γραφεῦσι, τοῖς τῶν  θεῶν ἐρμηνεῦσι, δῶρά πως διδοίης αὐτή; τῇ γὰρ γραφικῇ τὴν τῆς ἀρετῆς φύσιν τοῖς νεᾱνίαις ἀληθῶς που δεδηλώκᾱσιν οὗτοι. δικαίως οὖν τῑμηθέντων ὐπὸ πάντων.

My translation: Whence had you been sent into this city in order that you yourself might give gifts to the nine good writers, the interpreters of the gods? For where these men taught the young men excellence of nature for the writers.Justly be honored by everyone.   

I think "τοῖς νεᾱνίαις " "the young men"  is the indirect object and "τῇ γὰρ γραφικῇ" "the writers" is a phrase "for the writers"

Do I have the right translation?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
The Greek is difficult, awkward and artificial (again, I recommend Allen rather than Hanson for learning Greek), but you did a good job with much of it, JM.  Here are a few details that will help you make more sense of it:

κατεπέμφθης:  this is not pluperfect, but aorist passive:  "you were sent down."

πως = "somehow"

τῇ γραφικῇ = "by means of (their) writing (skill)"

You translate τὴν τῆς ἀρετῆς φύσιν backwards:  τὴν φύσιν is accusative, τῆς ἀρετῆς is genitive.

ἀληθῶς που = "perhaps truly."

δεδηλώκᾱσιν:  this is not the aorist of διδάσκω, but the perfect of δηλόω.

τῑμηθέντων:  third person plural aorist passive imperative: "Let them be honored!"

We'll look forward to your revised version!
« Last Edit: 06 Oct, 2009, 16:43:24 by billberg23 »

jmorsay

billberg23

• Words ail me.
δῶρά πως διδοίης = "might give gifts somehow"

τῇ γὰρ γραφικῇ = "for by means of their writing skill" There is no "where" here.  Maybe you're thinking of the που in ἀληθῶς που?  Note that that που is enclitic (= it has no accent), so it can't be the interrogatory "where?"  It has to mean something like "somewhere," "perhaps," "I suppose."

τοῖς νεᾱνίαις δεδηλώκᾱσιν οὗτοι:  again, the verb is the third person plural perfect active indicative of δηλόω, = "these men have shown (to) the young men"
« Last Edit: 08 Oct, 2009, 08:28:28 by billberg23 »

Search Tools