ἐφάνθης | φανέν (Sophocles, Antigone 100-102) → you appeared | having appeared

cabolt · 5 · 1683

cabolt

• Semi-Newbie
I'm working on Sophocles' Antigone without any knowledge of ancient Greek.  I was wondering if any one could help me out with these two words φανὲν and ἐφάνθης.  What do they mean in English?  Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: 15 Apr, 2008, 03:36:49 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
These are past participial and past indicative forms, respectively, of the verb φαίνομαι, which means, basically, "appear."  Give us the verse numbers, and we'll find a translation suitable to your context.

cabolt

• Semi-Newbie
These are past participial and past indicative forms, respectively, of the verb φαίνομαι, which means, basically, "appear."  Give us the verse numbers, and we'll find a translation suitable to your context.

The verse number is 100-102.  The original is like this:

ἀκτὶς ἀελίου, τὸ κάλλιστον ἑπταπύλῳ φανὲν
Θήβᾳ τῶν προτέρων φάος,
ἐφάνθης ποτ᾽, ὦ χρυσέας

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Good.  The first form, φανὲν , modifies φάος (to which it's related etymologically):  "Ray of sun, of (all lights) before, the most beautiful light to have shone (literally, "having appeared") upon seven-gated Thebes..."
The second form, ἐφάνθης, is a direct address by the chorus to the sun:  "You once shone (appeared), O eye of golden day, after rising over the streams of Dirce,...

Quite a task you've taken upon yourself!  Anyone to help?
« Last Edit: 11 Nov, 2007, 08:52:52 by billberg23 »

Search Tools