Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1256989

Jimmyshaka

• Semi-Newbie
Thank you both for your expert help and advice, as the phrase is shorter than expected i will most likely keep it to my left(shield) forearm. Having it placed across my back was suggested but i already have other tattoos there. I also thought of keeping it in english , but feel it would be better written in its original form, even latin was considered as she was full blooded Italian. I do have to admit the omission of "Son" does have a effect for me due to the personal nature..a very un-spartan way of thinking at that, but true non the less.
I again thank you for your help and I am sure you will hear from me again as I enjoy reading about Greece. Some of my drawings would also benefit from the addition of translated words.

ChildOfWar

• Semi-Newbie
I want to get the word 'Daimon' in ancient Greek letters as a tattoo. can anyone help me out with finding the correct translation to the concept of the daemon, or daimon? Thanks.

Pink Panther

• Τσα!
Good morning,

"Daemon" = "Δαίμονας" in modern Greek and "Δαίμων" in Ancient Greek.

Added by nickel:
ΔΑΙΜΩΝ in upper case.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_%28mythology%29
« Last Edit: 29 Nov, 2005, 12:19:16 by nickel »
Κάθε που νιώθω μοναξιά, σκέφτομαι πως υπάρχεις
Και θέλω να 'ρθω εκεί κοντά, τίποτα να μην πάθεις

jmills

• Semi-Newbie
Hey guys, your thread seems to be perfect for what I'm looking for, this comming friday I would like to get a tatoo on my side that says "live and learn" in ancient greek, attic i believe, and was wondering if you knew the translation for it.  I like the idea of having it in all capitols, but would like to see it normally as well. It would mean alot to me, as I've always wanted to get a tatoo and at this point in my life this saying deems most appropriate, and since I have greek roots, would love to get it in this writing.  Thanks guys!

banned8

I suggest you use the famous saying attributed to Solon, known as one of the Seven Wise Men of Greece: "I grow old learning something new every day".

In Plutarch, this is:
Γηράσκω δ’ αιεί πολλά διδασκόμενος.
i.e. Γηράσκω / δ' αιεί / πολλά / διδασκόμενος = I grow old / always / many things / being taught.

The better known form of this saying, still often used in modern Greek, is:
Γηράσκω αεί διδασκόμενος.

Go for the shorter version. In upper case:
ΓΗΡΑΣΚΩ ΑΕΙ ΔΙΔΑΣΚΟΜΕΝΟΣ.

Lonesharkx

• Semi-Newbie
There is a phrase on gravestones often used "what you are i was what i am you will be"what is the translation in capital letters please. I hope I phrased my post right I dont want to seem demanding. I hope this isnt to vague
« Last Edit: 29 Dec, 2005, 22:38:05 by Lonesharkx »

banned8

The Greek equivalent, equally appropriate, is:

Εκεί που είσαι ήμουνα, κι εδώ που είμαι θα ’ρθεις.

i.e. I've been where you are and you'll be where I am.

banned13

In capital letters:

ΕΚΕΙ ΠΟΥ ΕΙΣΑΙ ΗΜΟΥΝΑ, ΚΙ ΕΔΩ ΠΟΥ ΕΙΜΑΙ ΘΑ 'ΡΘΕΙΣ.

maryanne

• Semi-Newbie
Could you please help me translate the phrase,  "Did she have passion?"  If it doesn't translate literally could you tell me what the closest thing you can translate it to is, and what type of greek you used to translate it.  Thank you very much

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
In Modern Greek, this would be "Αυτή είχε πάθος;"

Ηowever, I am not sure I understand the exact meaning of "passion" in your English phrase.
« Last Edit: 06 Jan, 2006, 18:58:48 by wings »
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

maryanne

• Semi-Newbie
I mean passion like, to have powerful emotion such as love, joy, anger.   

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Well, then, my previous suggestion applies. I hope it helps, as it is a word-by-word translation.

maryanne

• Semi-Newbie

powell__c

hey guys, just stumbled upon this site while looking for a translation for a tattoo im getting in a few days. Im wondering if someone (nickel seems to be quite experienced/informative) can give me a proper translation for the words "Love Forever" or "Forever Love". My grandparents are from greece and im going to swing it by them but i am at home right now. Also, i know names are hard but if you could translate the name "Kyla" please. Thanks

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Ηi there.

Forever love =  αιεί αγάπη or αεί αγάπη
Love forever = αγάπη εσαεί

Ι would use the last one.

As for the transliteration (not translation) of the name, most probably it is Kυλά.

Nickel is very busy this weekend so I can help, if you don't mind.

Search Tools