ματόβρεχτο κουβάρι

Jonathan

Μετάφρασα στις ομοιοκαταληξίες ζευγαρωτές Το Πρώτο Άσμα του Ύμνου και Θρήνου για την Κύπρο του Ρίτσου και τώρα προχωρώ με κόπο με το δεύτερο. Εδώ είναι η απορία μου της μέρας. Στον αυτό το δίστιχο, τι σημαίνουν οι λέξεις σε έντονα μπλε γράμματα:-

Και τώρα πώς σε τύλιξαν ματόβρεχτο κουβάρι —
ή οργή μας μες στο δάκρυ μας μαχαίρι στο θηκάρι.

Σημαινει κυριολεκτικά ο δίστιχος 'and now they have wrapped you (like?)  blood-stained knotted yarn';

Παρεμπ. ήθελε ο Μπίλμπεργ23 να διαβάσει Το Πρώτο Άσμα. Σε ποιο μέρος του φόρουμ τη βάζω στις ανακοινώσεις;
« Last Edit: 29 Aug, 2018, 14:26:27 by spiros »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Maybe:  And now how they've wound you (= the "golden chord" from the previous couplet) into a blood-flecked tangle!

Complete second stanza:

Χρυσή, λιανότρεμη χορδή, στον αέρα τεντωμένη,
χαμόγελα κελάηδαγες μέσα στην οικουμένη.

Και τώρα πώς σε τύλιξαν ματόβρεχτο κουβάρι —
ή οργή μας μες στο δάκρυ μας μαχαίρι στο θηκάρι.

Κι εκείνη ή άμωμη μορφή, πού εψαλμωδούσε τ’ άγια,
χιλιάδες βόλια δέχτηκεν αντίς δάφνες και βάγια.

Κι από μακριά το πατρικό, το μέγα χέρι υψώνει
και το κατάμαυρο ψωμί της προσφυγιάς σταυρώνει.
« Last Edit: 28 Aug, 2018, 22:12:32 by billberg23 »

Jonathan

Thanks. Brilliant! Where do I send my couplets from Canto I to you for appraisal & correction?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
You're always welcome to use my email address, Jonathan.  I'm in no position, however, to appraise and correct, since there are so many others here who are more fluent in Greek, and know Ritsos better, than I.

Jonathan

I do not know how to find your email address. The forum says 'An error has occurred' when I try to do so. I have no wish to put you under any pressure. Since you were interested in reading it, perhaps there is a part of the forum where I could submit it for general appraisal. Professor Panos Karayiorgos, a personal friend, has been the first to read it and he called the   'ζευγαράκια πολύ ωραία'. :)

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Sorry, Jonathan, I had no idea that "email" icon on the Forum wasn't operative.  In that case, feel free to email me at billberg23 at hotmail dot com, or simply click on the "personal message" icon. And congrats on the stamp of approval from Prof. Karagiorgos!

Search Tools