Sir Walter Raleigh quotations

spiros · 1 · 2133

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
A flatterer is said to be a beast that biteth smiling. But it is hard to know them from friends, they are so obsequious and full of protestations; for as a wolf resembles a dog, so doth a flatterer a friend.
      - [Flattery]

Abused mortals! did you know
  Where joy, heart's-ease, and comforts grow;
    You'd scorn proud towers,
      And seek them in these bowers,
        Where winds sometimes our woods perhaps may shake,
          But blustering care could never tempest make,
            Nor murmurs e'er come nigh us,
              Saving of fountains that glide by us.
      - [Country]

Because all men are apt to flatter themselves, to entertain the addition of other men's praises is most perilous.
      - [Flattery]

Cowards fear to die; but courage stout,
  Rather than live in snuff, will be put out.
      - [Cowards]

Death, which hateth and destroyeth a man, is believed; God, which hath made him and loves him, is always deferred.
      - [Death]

E'en such is time! which takes in trust
  Our youth, our joys, and all we have;
    And pays us naught but age and dust,
      Which, in the dark and silent grave,
        When we have wandered all our ways,
          Shuts up the story of our days.
            And from which grave, and earth, and dust,
              The Lord will raise me up, I trust.
      - written in his Bible, see Cayley's "Life of Raleigh", vol. II, ch. IX
        [Time]

Except thou desire to hasten thine end, take this for a general rule, that thou never add any artificial heat to thy body by wine or spice.
      - [Temperance]

Flatterers are the worst kind of traitors, for they will strengthen thy imperfections, encourage thee in all evils, correct thee in nothing, but so shadow and paint thy follies and vices as thou shalt never, by their will, discover good from evil, or vice from virtue.
      - [Flattery]

Hatreds are the cinders of affection.
      - in a letter to Sir Robert Cecil [Hatred]

If she seem not chaste to me,
  What care I how chaste she be?
      - written the night before his death, see Bayley's "Life of Raleigh"
        [Chastity : Women]

If she undervalue me,
  What care I how fair she be?
      - [Women]

If the heart be right, it matters not which way the head lies.
      -

If thou marry beauty, thou bindest thyself all thy life for that which, perchance, will neither last nor please thee one year.
      - [Beauty]

If thy friends be of better quality than thyself, thou mayest be sure of two things: the first, that they will be more careful to keep thy counsel, because they have more to lose than thou hast; the second, they will esteem thee for thyself, and not for that which thou dost possess.
      - [Friends]

It is plain there is not in nature a point of stability to be found; everything either ascends or declines; when wars are ended abroad, sedition begins at home; and when men are freed from fighting for necessity, they quarrel through ambition.
      - [Fickleness]

It were better for a man to be subject to any vice than to drunkenness; for all other vanities and sins are recovered, but a drunkard will never shake off the delight of beastliness.
      - [Drunkenness]

Jest not openly at those that are simple, but remember how much thou art bound to God, who hath made thee wiser. Defame not any woman publicly, though thou know her to be evil; for those that are faulty cannot endure to be taxed, but will seek to be avenged of thee; and those that are not guilty cannot endure unjust reproach.
      - [Discretion]

Never add artificial heat to thy body by wine or spice until thou findest that time hath decayed thy natural heat.
      - [Abstinence]

No man is esteemed for gay garments but by fools and women.
      - [Clothes]

Remember the divine saying, He that keepeth his Mouth, keepeth his life.
      - [Discretion]

Speaking much is a sign of vanity, for he that is lavish with words is a niggard in deed.
      - [Loquacity]

Take special care that thou never trust any friend or servant with any matter that may endanger thine estate; for so shalt thou make thyself a bond-slave to him that thou trustest, and leave thyself always to his mercy.
      - [Trust]

The difference between a rich man and a poor man is this--the former eats when he pleases, and the latter when he can get it.
      - [Eating]

The gain of lying is nothing else but not to be trusted of any, nor to be believed when we speak the truth.
      - [Falsehood]

A beggar that is dumb, you know,
  May challenge double pity.
      - [Beggars]

Search Tools