Question from a postgraduate student relating to Greek-English Translations

evim · 7 · 2991

evim

• Semi-Newbie
Hello from England.

It's the first time I am writing in the forum, but I have been using it quite a lot. I find it very informative on many issues and that's why I thought I could post a question I have here (I hope it is the right area though..).

I am a postgraduate student in translation. I am trying to find any data, statistical information or actual translations from Greek into English, from non-native speakers of English for my dissertation work.

Does anybody have any ideas on where I should look?

Thank you in advance.
Evi

vmelas

I am a postgraduate student in translation. I am trying to find any data, statistical information or actual translations from Greek into English, from non-native speakers of English for my dissertation work.

That's a bit broad and vague evim (Welcome by the way! :D) .. Can you help us by letting us what types of translation and statistical info you are after? Do you per chance have a questionnaire you might want us or in general those doing the ELL>EN answer?

evim

• Semi-Newbie
Thank you very much for the promt response.

I am interested to access source texts and target texts (Greek to English translations) of the following contexts: legal documents (e.g. contracts), certificates-diplomas-degrees, texts from websites (website localisation), medical texts, reports, texts that are used for sales, promotions, marketing even email messages that companies may exchange. Those translations must be only by non-native speakers of English and I must have a way to assure that.

As far as the statistical info I would like to know if there is any survey that has been done concerning the practise of translating into English from Greek translators (non-native speakers of English).

Thank you again.
Evi

vmelas

I have more questions :)

How do you plan to tackle the confidentiality issue for all these sample texts you want to gather?

evim

• Semi-Newbie
I am fully aware of issues of confidentiality that will come up. I am not allowed to use any personal data of any sort in my dissertation and I am able to provide written assurance from the university on that matter.
Evi

vmelas

You did not understand my question, or perhaps I did not state it clearly. All the texts that you would like to use are bound by a confidentiality agreement between the translator and the agency and/or end customer. How do you plan to tackle this issue? Or somehow this is not an issue?

evim

• Semi-Newbie
You are totally correct. I must take permission from all sides. Do you agree?
Evi

Search Tools