εἰρήνην καλεῖς δὴ τὸ πολέμου τέλος → do you actually call the end of war peace, do you in fact call peace the end of war

jmorsay

I think this means "Will you summon the end of the war peace?"

Is this right?

Thank you
« Last Edit: 25 Jul, 2022, 13:14:17 by spiros »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
"Will you summon the end of the war peace?"
If a sentence doesn't make sense to you, JM, it's a sign that you need to go back to the drawing board.  (-:  Note that the basic meaning of καλέω is "call," i.e. "give a name to" something.

Is there any reason to translate ϰαλεῖς in the future rather than the present?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
JM, we really appreciate your enthusiasm, but it's become very clear recently, and especially in the last sentences you've posted, that you've been going 'way too fast.  You haven't really given yourself a chance to absorb the grammar from past lessons, to understand the grammar of the new lessons, or — even more importantly — to memorize the different endings that change the person, tense and mood of verbs, the number and case of nouns, etc.

I'd strongly suggest that you start over, maybe ten or even twenty lessons back, and go slowly enough to give yourself a chance to really learn Greek.  Are you in a big hurry to do so?  Let us know what keeps up your enthusiasm, and maybe we can come up with some extra guidelines!  (-:

jmorsay

jmorsay

I have looked at this sentence again. I see my mistake. I think I have it corect now.

My translation: Will you call peace the end of war?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Or "Do you actually (δὴ) call the end of war "peace"?

You must have a lot of other distractions, JM, what with school, sports, hobbies, games, friends, etc.  Tell me, what keeps you interested in Greek, of all things?

Search Tools