XP end of support...

Vion · 4 · 5757

Vion

• Creative, Hardworking and Able!
UK government pays Microsoft £5.5m to extend Windows XP support
Netherlands also signs separate deal as countries’ public sectors seek more time to migrate from 12-year-old operating system...

Time to get those last final updates XP people... probably very late Tuesday night for those of us who live in Greece. It's been good, nearly 14 years, but times change. Actually my XP is alive and well and just as fast as more recent "modern" versions of Windows, but that's besides the point.
ATMs run on XP, banks run on XP, the Greek tax office runs on... Windows 2000 (oops). So the article gives us the feeling that Greece is not in a minority at this point. Hmm, Linux?

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
I thought that the Greek tax office was still using DOS :P

I would have still had my XP, had my system not crashed irreparably. For the time being, and for a long time to come, Win7 (end of support is 2020, so this is good news).

Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Microsoft Windows Help
«Απροστάτευτοι» από την Τρίτη οι υπολογιστές με Windows XP - Ειδήσεις - Επιστήμη-Τεχνολογία - in.gr
« Last Edit: 07 Apr, 2014, 22:40:31 by spiros »

dimace

• Dimitris Nawas
Δεινόσαυρε της τεχνολογίας! :)
South Africa (1961-1994) presidents: Charles Swat, Jozua Naude, Jacobus Fouche, Johannes de Klerk, Nicolaas Diederichs, Marais Viljoen, Balthazar Vorster,  Pieter Botha, Chris Heunis, Frederik de Klerk.

Vion

• Creative, Hardworking and Able!
ATMs still run on Microsoft's dinosaur Window XP
"Even though Microsoft will extend support for its Windows XP security products through July 2015, the company has warned that “the effectiveness of antimalware solutions on out-of-support operating systems is limited”. Some of the most important machines that desperately need to upgrade from Windows XP are ATMs, of which an estimated 95% still run on Microsoft’s older operating system. [...]"

-στιγμιότυπο οθόνης από την τελευταία μου επίσκεψη στο Windows update για XP :(

Search Tools