We're having a baby - and his name will be Panagiotis

maria2miha

• Semi-Newbie
Hello. My name is Maria. My husband and I are going to have a baby. Both our dad's names are Panagiotis. So if it's a boy, this will be easy. My father in law goes by Pete (I've been taught this means Petros in Greek), so I have issues naming my child Pete. I feel this would be disrespectful to my dad for obvious reasons.

Does anyone know what the correct English translation is to "panagiotis" or does anyone have any suggestions for my dilemma?

Thankyou
Maria

Cafeeine

• Με αγάπη για τα καφεϊνοπαράγωγα
So far as I know, there isn't a translation used readily. 'Panagiotis' is derived from Panagia, the Madonna. A few of my friends in the same situation also use Pete for its homophonic quality. I would hazard a guess, I'd say Panayot, or simply Pan.
Γριμανέλης Γιώργος

banned13

Hello,

If you will allow me to add my opinion and personal experience:
My son's name is Panagiotis, or Panayotis as we prefer to spell it.
In London where he lives for the last 5 years, he is called Panos.

Alexandra

Leon

Most people that I know who are called Panayiotis are nicknamed Pani. I suppose that 'Panos' also works as a shorter version of the original name. Another idea is that you could find the masculine version of the name 'Mary' (from Greek 'Maria', which was the name of the Madonna (whose name was 'Panayia' whose masculine version is 'Panayiotis')).

Leon.
«Όποιος ελεύθερα συλλογάται συλλογάται καλά»
- Ρήγας Φερραίος

banned13

Hi, Leon.
The masculine version of the name Mary (or Maria) is Marios in Greek, Mario in other languages. But it's a different name altogether, right? I mean we also have the feminine version of Panayotis, which is Panayota. Nobody would think of naming their daughter Panayota and then calling her Mary, do you agree?

Leon

Hi Alexandra.

Yes I am aware of all that you said but I just thought it was an idea. If a solution wasn't solved I thought maybe use Marios which is still linked to the original name Panayiotis.

Leon.
- Ρήγας Φερραίος

Leon

You could also call your son 'Yiotis', which is a shortened version of 'Panayiotis', and commonly used here in England for Charlies (Cypriots born and/or raised in England).

Leon.
- Ρήγας Φερραίος

Search Tools