bride and groom -> νύφη και γαμπρός

Talantus

• Semi-Newbie
  • Y Gwyr Yn Erbyn Byd
just married, bride, groom -> νεόνυμφοι, νύφη, γαμπρός

Hello all, newbie here with my first question... actually the question I was researching that brought me to stumble across this site, for which I'm grateful!

A friend of mine is going to be getting married in Greece in a few weeks, and she wants t-shirts made (I know, OY, but it's not my wedding) that say "Just Married" on the back and "Bride" and "Groom" (respectively) on the front, all in Greek.  I'm having difficulty with the translation myself because I'm not familiar with the Greek equivalent of "just" in the sense and context that it's being used... any assistance is greatly appreciated! 

For the record, I'm assuming classical Greek here (as opposed to ancient) because I doubt she knows the difference anyway, and it's most likely what she's picturing.  I'm also assuming standard capitalization, as in "Just Married" and "Bride" and "Groom".

My thanks (and hers) in advance!
« Last Edit: 07 Apr, 2019, 11:49:41 by spiros »
I may wish that I knew certain things I do not, and I may wish that I did not know certain things that I do, but this do I know and am glad of it:  Reality is subjective.  Truth is not.  And yea, I shall hold the truth above all things without exception.  ~Y Gwyr Yn Erbyn Byd~

F_idάνι

Is there any chance that by ''classical Greek'', you mean ''modern Greek''?

ruko

Hi Talantus.
I' m assuming you mean modern Greek, is that right?
You could translate "Just Married" as:

Μόλις παντρευτήκαμε (We just got married) or

Νιόπαντροι (newly weds - slightly more common here, although a bit cheesy).

Bride -> H νύφη
Groom ->Ο γαμπρός

All the best to you friend!

banned8

In proper modern Greek:

Νεόνυμφοι (for Just Married)

And I suggest you drop the articles:

Bride -> Νύφη

Bridegroom -> Γαμπρός

Talantus

• Semi-Newbie
  • Y Gwyr Yn Erbyn Byd
Ah Gods, what helpfulness!!!  Thank you, all, I will pass along your words and hope (for her husband's sake) that she is satisfied.  Thank you, truly.
I may wish that I knew certain things I do not, and I may wish that I did not know certain things that I do, but this do I know and am glad of it:  Reality is subjective.  Truth is not.  And yea, I shall hold the truth above all things without exception.  ~Y Gwyr Yn Erbyn Byd~

Talantus

• Semi-Newbie
  • Y Gwyr Yn Erbyn Byd
...and yes, I suppose I do mean modern greek... for some reason I've always referred to it as classical and ancient... but in restrospect I have no idea where I initially got that idea...[color]

Search Tools