Rivendell

primalpharaoh

• Semi-Newbie
could anyone possibly translate it for me?  Its actually my girlfriend's name but also the name of the elvish city in LoTR she would love to know the translation

banned8

The name Rivendell is formed by two elements: "riven" and "dell" meaning split, cloven and valley respectively, making the whole word purport "deeply cloven valley".

So says https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivendell

I wonder how it was translated in the Greek Tolkien books.

However, as it also is your girlfriend's name, two feminine words that might fit are Ρεματιά (=gully) and Λαγκαδιά (=glen).

On the other hand, names are not usually translated. I'd keep calling her Ρίβεντελ.

F_idάνι

It's Σκιστό Λαγκάδι in my book. (This is the place where Elrod lives, right?)

banned8

It's Σκιστό Λαγκάδι in my book.

Pretty straightforward. Cleft dell. But, primalpharaoh, please don't start calling Rivendell «Σκιστό Λαγκάδι» because it sounds like the translation of an Amerindian's name (let alone other connotations).

primalpharaoh

• Semi-Newbie
The name Rivendell is formed by two elements: "riven" and "dell" meaning split, cloven and valley respectively, making the whole word purport "deeply cloven valley".

So says https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivendell

However, as it also is your girlfriend's name, two feminine words that might fit are Ρεματιά (=gully) and Λαγκαδιά (=glen).

On the other hand, names are not usually translated. I'd keep calling her Ρίβεντελ.

so then basically Ρίβεντελ is the direct spelling isntead of a translation?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
so then basically Ρίβεντελ is the direct spelling isntead of a translation?
That's correct, Primalpharaoh.  So far, no one has suggested an ancient Greek equivalent — nor will I.  It would be much too unwieldy to use for a name.  I'd settle for the transliteration Ρίβεντελ, if I were you.

Search Tools