Street vendors

leny · 8 · 1463

leny

• Semi-Newbie
Hello everybody. I am doing a speech at my school and have the subject of Greek Food. Now, I need to attract attention at the beggining of the speech so, I will need to say something that a street vendor of this "Souvlaki" food would say. I need this in Greek, and also, is there anywhere I could get help with the pronounciation of the sentence?

It needs to be something like: Souvlaki! Come and get your delicious Souvlaki! Hot, fresh, mouth watering!

Not necessarily the above, but something similar and not too hard to pronounce. I would very muchly appreciate anyone helping me out.
Thanks

prazantrau?

"Street vendors" that sell "souvalki"?
There are only guys from Senegal or Sri Lanka who sell pirate DVDs and Harmani sunglasses.
Tarapia tapioco. Prematurata alla supercazzola o scherziamo? - Come se fosse antani anche per lei soltanto in due, oppure in quattro anche scribai con cofandina; come antifurto, per esempio.

leny

• Semi-Newbie
I've read that they sell the food in street stands. It doesn't matter whether they do it anymore or not, I'd just like to know what they would say. :)

NadiaF

• ناديا فامي
  • Γιατί να το κρύψω; Ναι, είμαι μία φελάχα!
The only street vendors selling any type of food are those who sell "koulouria". See here and this is what they look like.

You might find some souvlaki street vendors, but this is not a daily occurance. You only see them in religious fairs and outside the stadiums before/after the events. this is what they look like. But, I repeat, this is not something you see often.

Anyhow, you could say" "Souvlakia! Ed/o ta kal/a souvlakia. Zest/a, n/ostima souvlakia"

But, I've never heard the few I saw peddle their fare this way... the smell is enough to draw you to their stand.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep, 2007, 09:52:36 by NadiaF »
Μην κοιμάσαι, είναι επικίνδυνο. Μην ξυπνήσεις, θα το μετανοιώσεις!
Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi

mavrodon

Usually, souvlaki and other meat delicacies, such as "soutzoukakia" (σουτζουκάκια), a sort of oblong meatballs, and sausages (λουκάνικα and σουτζούκια) ,  are sold in the streets at canteens not stands. You can find canteens at some points near highways and other roads on the periphery of towns or at places where people congregate or walk to while away their time (promenade=βόλτα) . There are usually canteens at open markets called in Greek "λαϊκές αγορές" (pronounced "laikes agores". There is no need to advertise their produce as everybody can be enticed by the aroma of the preparations. Anyway, if you wish to introduce your lecture, in the absence of the mouth-watering odor of the souvlaki being grilled, you can say "ελάτε όλοι και γευστείτε τα λαχταριστά και ζουμερά σουβλακια μας" "elate oloi kai yeftite ta lahtarista kai zoumera souvlakia mas) (everybody come and taste our enticing and succulent souvlakia).

Philip

• μεγαλώνουν, μεγαλώνουν ...
"ελάτε όλοι και γευστείτε τα λαχταριστά και ζουμερά σουβλακια μας" "elate oloi kai yeftite ta lahtarista kai zoumera souvlakia mas) (everybody come and taste our enticing and succulent souvlakia).
or, to help you with the pronunciation,

el-AH-te AW-lee kyeh yef-STI-teh ta lakh-ta-ri-STAH kyeh zoo-me-RAH soo-VLAH-keeah mahs

(you stress the syllables in capitals)
But how shall men meditate in that, which they cannot understand? How shall they understand that which is kept close in an unknown tongue?

THE TRANSLATORS TO THE READER
Preface to the King James Version 1611

user10

Anyhow, you could say" "Souvlakia! Ed/o ta kal/a souvlakia. Zest/a, n/ostima souvlakia"

I agree with Nadia. I don't think that any street vendor selling souvlaki would say something as long as "everybody come and taste [...]"

banned8

Keep it short and simple. (a) Because this is a rare occasion, not really representative of street vendors in Greece, (b) because you're talking to an audience (whether Greek or foreign) that will not necessarily appreciate your impersonation of street vendors in badly-pronounced made-up Greek.

Souvlakia, souvlakia! Edo ta kala souvlakia! should be enough.

The 'd' in Edo pronounced like the 'th' in 'the'. And keep the 'o' short.

Search Tools