Books in Indian Languages Fly Off the Shelves

Online wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
    • vicky.papaprodromou
    • @hellenic_wings
    • hellenicwings
    • Βίκυ Παπαπροδρόμου: ό,τι πολύ αγάπησα (ποίηση, πεζογραφία & μουσική)
Books in Indian Languages Fly Off the Shelves

For the first time, publishers in India are printing scores of international books translated into Hindi, Bengali, Marathi, Malayalam, Gujarati, Tamil, Telugu, and Punjabi. The economic growth in the country’s small villages has created a growing market of more affluent non-English readers with non-traditional interests, such as business, money management, and self-improvement. Bikash Kumar Naik, who owns a medicine shop in Laida, says, “Being a businessman, I always wanted to read books on scaling up business and self-improvement, but not knowing English, I didn’t have access to them. Now these translations seem like perfect treasures for me.” Vivek Govil, managing director of Pearson Education India, says, "The international translation market has a huge potential in India. Estimates peg it at around $500 million. We have just touched the tip of the iceberg and have a long way to go." International publishers have also joined the rush to publish translated books, primarily targeting 25- to 45-year-old readers. Manjul Publishing's Vikas Rakheja says the new readers include bank and insurance professionals, retail employees, corporate trainers, medical and sale representatives, and even job-seekers. Rakheja says, “They are just like their metropolitan counterparts in aspirations and dreams who want to achieve the best and equip themselves accordingly." International translations published in regional languages over the last four years include The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Who Moved My Cheese, and The Rules of Management.

From "Books in Indian Languages Fly Off the Shelves"
Economic Times of India (India) (11/09/10) Biswas, Shreya

Source: ATA Newsbriefs - November 2010

Search Tools