turn a blind eye -> κάνω τα στραβά μάτια, εθελοτυφλώ, κάνω πως δε βλέπω, κάνω την πάπια, αρνούμαι να δω, κάνω το κορόιδο, κάνω τον Κινέζο

crystal

turn a blind eye -> εθελοτυφλώ, κάνω πως δε βλέπω, κάνω την πάπια

The idiom turning a blind eye is used to describe the process of ignoring unpopular orders or inconvenient facts or activities.
The phrase to turn a blind eye is attributed to an incident in the life of Admiral Horatio Nelson.
Nelson was blinded in one eye early in his Royal Navy career. In 1801, during the Battle of Copenhagen cautious Admiral Sir Hyde Parker, in overall command of the British forces, sent a signal to Nelson's forces giving him discretion to withdraw. Naval orders were transmitted via a system of signal flags at that time. When this order was given to the more aggressive Nelson's attention, he lifted his telescope up to his blind eye, said "I really do not see the signal", and his forces continued to press home the attack.[1]
Despite popular opinion that he was disobeying orders, the signal gave him discretion to withdraw when he wanted to. Still, even at the time, some of the people on his ship may have thought otherwise, since they were not aware of the exact content of the signal.

πάπια η [páp<x>a] O25α : I. νηκτικό, υδρόβιο πουλί (σε άγρια κατάσταση ή κατοικίδιο) με παχύ σώμα, κοντό λαιμό, πλατύ ράμφος, κοντά πόδια με μεμβράνες ανάμεσα στα δάχτυλα και ποικίλο (συνήθ. φαιό) φτέρωμα: Στη λίμνη κολυμπούσαν πάπιες και χήνες. Φάγαμε ~ γεμιστή / ψητή. Aπαγορεύτηκε το κυνήγι της άγριας πάπιας. Περπατάει σαν ~, για παχύ άτομο (κυρ. γυναίκα), που περπατάει με ανοιχτά πόδια και γέρνει δεξιά και αριστερά. ΦP κάνω την ~, προσποιούμαι ότι δε γνωρίζω, δεν καταλαβαίνω κτ., αποφεύγω να πάρω θέση· ΣYN έκφρ. κάνω το κορόιδο. || (ως γλωσσοδέτης) μια ~ μα ποια ~, μια ~ με παπιά. II. είδος ουροδοχείου πλατιού και με μακρύ λαιμό για αρρώστους ή υπερήλικες. παπάκι* το YΠOKOP. [μσν. πάπια ίσως ηχομιμ. < κραυγή πα-πα-πα]

ΛΚΝ

Apparatus

• Ως ουδέν γλυκίων ης πατρίδος ουδέ τοκείων γίγνεται
turn a blind eye -> κάνω τα στραβά μάτια, αγνοώ

turn a blind eye (to someone or something)
Fig. to ignore something and pretend you do not see it. The usher turned a blind eye to the little boy who sneaked into the theater. How can you turn a blind eye to all those starving children?
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.

turn a blind eye
to choose to ignore behaviour that you know is wrong I knew Hugo was taking the money but I turned a blind eye because he was my sister's child. (often + to ) Management often turn a blind eye to bullying in the workplace.
Cambridge Idioms Dictionary, 2nd ed. Copyright © Cambridge University Press 2006.

turn a blind eye (to something)
to ignore something close your/its eyes to something Sometimes a store might sell stolen goods because the owner has turned a blind eye to where they come from.
Cambridge Dictionary of American Idioms Copyright © Cambridge University Press 2003.

the free dictionary: turn a blind eye
« Last Edit: 11 Dec, 2014, 15:12:54 by Apparatus »

Search Tools