Author Topic: E.S. Posthumus, Ebla  (Read 21666 times)

Movies32

• Semi-Newbie
E.S. Posthumus, Ebla
« on: 13 Dec, 2007, 21:11:52 »
I need help with the lyrics to a song. I don't have the lyrics but I was wondering if someone could help me understand what they are singing about. Any information would be useful.

The song is Ebla by E.S. Posthumus. If you don't want to download it then just go to www.esposthumus.com and play the song Ebla.

Here's the link to download the song: .../file/k2cbbn (go to the bottom of the page to download)

I would really appreciate the help. Thanks.

« Last Edit: 16 Jan, 2012, 13:39:27 by wings »

banned8

Re: Help with song translation please
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec, 2007, 21:36:54 »
As you may already know, a rather desperate (or, rather, humorous) effort can be found here:

Movies32

• Semi-Newbie
Re: Help with song translation please (Please help me)
« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec, 2007, 23:01:59 »
Can no one help me?  I would really like to know what they are saying.  Someone thinks they sing something like: "Patermusa diceit ergo mit entricto mi afran trixe" If anybody knows any Latin or Language this is please translate. It probably isn't those exact words but something like that.  Just tell me what language at least!!! Thanks.

Costas

• -Πετάει ο γάιδαρος; -Πετάει!
    • Το δικτυακό τεφτέρι μου
« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec, 2007, 01:31:55 »
Their website has a Mailing List and a Contact button. Why don't you ask them and then let us know too???
Τας λεωφόρους οδούς φεύγων επί τας ατραπούς βάδιζε.

banned8

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec, 2007, 05:44:38 »
Here someone says:
The songs on UNEARTHED pay homage to ancient cultures with their titles (Cuzco, Pompeii, Harrapa and Ebla), chanting, classical instrumentation and archaic use of Latin.

If they don't want their lyrics published, if no one seems to know what they are really saying, I doubt that you'll have much luck with their site. It may well be mock Latin. (I personally prefer the fun version.)

Vion

• Creative, Hardworking and Able!
    • V and F
« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec, 2007, 11:19:56 »
http://www.musicremedy.com/e/ES_Posthumus/album/Unearthed-1530.html
“The songs on UNEARTHED pay homage to ancient cultures with their titles (Cuzco, Pompeii, Harrapa and Ebla), chanting, classical instrumentation and archaic use of Latin, yet they are as contemporary as Deep Forest and Enigma. The music is at one moment dark and choral and at another light and airy; one moment you are in Germany and then in Ireland or South America. It’s a film score, clearly cinematic, but there’s no movie - rather there are dozens of movies since these creations from E.S. POSTHUMUS have found their way into numerous films, film trailers and television shows: Spiderman; Matrix Reloaded; Ali; The Clearing; Team America; The Recruit; Time Machine; Planet of the Apes, Minority Report; Cold Case; Six Feet Under and many more.”

http://history-world.org/ebla.htm
"Ebla" meaning "White Rock" was an ancient Sumerian city located in northern Syria.

I think the lyrics are probably a mix of more than one ancient language (Latin + Sumerian or Akkadian?) and intended more to convey an atmosphere than for actual content.

Movies32

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec, 2007, 22:16:13 »
http://www.musicremedy.com/e/ES_Posthumus/album/Unearthed-1530.html
“The songs on UNEARTHED pay homage to ancient cultures with their titles (Cuzco, Pompeii, Harrapa and Ebla), chanting, classical instrumentation and archaic use of Latin, yet they are as contemporary as Deep Forest and Enigma. The music is at one moment dark and choral and at another light and airy; one moment you are in Germany and then in Ireland or South America. It’s a film score, clearly cinematic, but there’s no movie - rather there are dozens of movies since these creations from E.S. POSTHUMUS have found their way into numerous films, film trailers and television shows: Spiderman; Matrix Reloaded; Ali; The Clearing; Team America; The Recruit; Time Machine; Planet of the Apes, Minority Report; Cold Case; Six Feet Under and many more.”

http://history-world.org/ebla.htm
"Ebla" meaning "White Rock" was an ancient Sumerian city located in northern Syria.

I think the lyrics are probably a mix of more than one ancient language (Latin + Sumerian or Akkadian?) and intended more to convey an atmosphere than for actual content.

So what you're saying is that Ebla is a song that conveys a feeling of sadness or another emotion rather than it being a word for word translation?  If it was translated it would not make sense?

And if no one knows what the song means than at least does anyone know what they're saying.  I would be talking about lyrics not a translation.

Movies32

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb, 2008, 06:07:31 »
Anyone?

relussier

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan, 2012, 06:19:03 »
The best that I can do is come up with some options. I've sung Latin before, but that's the extent of my experience. So, here are some ideas:

Pater musta rigen ergo mit entricto mia fratriste
Father stiff, therefore, must send Mia entricto fratriste

Pater musta regen ergo mit entrivo mia fratri iste
Therefore, this ruling must send his brother Father entrivo Mia

Pater musta rigen ergo mit entrido mia frater iste
The Father must be steadfast; therefore, he must send to his brother... mia entrido.

Pater musta rigen ergo mit entrivo mia fra triste
Father stiff, therefore, must send Mia brethren sad entrivo

Maybe this will spark inspiration.
Hope it helps! (4 years later)

saecula

• Semi-Newbie
Re: E.S. Posthumus, Ebla
« Reply #9 on: 04 Feb, 2016, 01:14:49 »
I've studied both Latin and Greek, and I'm fairly certain the lyrics are intentional gibberish. It's too bad, I like this song too.

Sorry.