Author Topic: 2 ethernet pci cards...?!  (Read 1983 times)

Vion

• Creative, Hardworking and Able!
    • V and F
2 ethernet pci cards...?!
« on: 11 Feb, 2008, 14:27:24 »
 I'm trying to set things up to access my simple LAN (2 comps) network and
my broadband (Forthnet) connection, they both work fine, ... but (and this is driving me
crazy) not at the same time!
Practically speaking, I have to disable my local network card (τοπικό δίκτυο) in order to access the internet.
The local net is on a realtec RTL8139 and the broadband on a realtec RTL8169 (so these are very similar cards using the same drivers.)
The router is a (fairly crappy but should be adaquate) siemens cl-110 adsl combo router. Both computers and the router are connected to a d-link 10/100 fast ethernet switch. (Just using the Windoze firewall at the moment and the router's firewall.)
I must have set something up wrong, but I can't figure out what...thanks in advance for any help-

diceman

• Talk less, say more.
    • meta|φραση School of Translation Studies
Re: 2 ethernet pci cards...?!
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb, 2008, 14:38:56 »
I assume you have given your 2 pcs different IPs, right? 'Cause this sounds like a device conflict to me.
Βασίλης Μπαμπούρης
meta|φραση School of Translation Studies

Vion

• V and F
« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb, 2008, 14:57:52 »
Yes, the network IP's are different on the two machines. When I enable the card, communication between the two computers is normal, but this cuts off communication between the other card (set to 'obtain IP address /DNS server address automatically') and the internet. If I again disable the LAN network, then the internet works....device manager isn't finding a conflict.

Vion

• V and F
« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb, 2008, 15:38:12 »
Oh my... :-) A simple reboot fixed it. (Windows...hmm) It all works fine now :-)