Who can provide official translations (sworn translators) in Greece?

Aida · 7 · 4670

Aida

• Semi-Newbie
Dear Colleague Translators,

The European Economic Chamber has a Translation and Interpreting Commission. The commission is called to regulate quality, standards and certification issues in the member countries of European Economic Chamber. At this point for a specific project which is under development we are looking for information on the process of official translation, in the case of Greece "επίσημη μετάφραση". Up to now in different countries we found out:

1. Translation of the Justice Ministry translation bureau which is then confirmed with a notarial seal
2. Translation of the Foreign Affairs Ministry translation office
3. Translation by a translator with proceeding approval of lawyer
4. Translation done by a translator who is a graduate of specific university who has the right to issue this stamp and the translator is accepted as an official translator.

As I know that very few translators are informed about this commission I would like to post also the scan of the appointment order but did not find how. For those of you who are interested to see it you are welcome to request it by leaving your email address.

Thank you.

Regards,
Aida Martirosyan
Chairperson of Translation and Interpreting Commission
European Economic Chamber
« Last Edit: 03 Mar, 2008, 13:24:57 by spiros »

vmelas

Hello,

In Greece, and dear colleagues correct me if I am wrong, the following apply:

• Translation of the Foreign Affairs Ministry translation office
  • Translation by a translator with proceeding approval of lawyer
  • Translation done by a translator who is a graduate of specific university who has the right to issue this stamp and the translator is accepted as an official translator.
  • Translation done by a translation who belongs to an association approved by the Judicial system and hence has a seal certifying the translation - similar to sworn translators.

I think we all would be very interested in reading the document you mention. Would it be possible to provide us a URL where it resides or upload it somewhere on the internet so we can download it?

Rgds
Valentini Mellas
« Last Edit: 29 Feb, 2008, 15:30:32 by wings »

user10

3. Translation done by a translator who is a graduate of specific university who has the right to issue this stamp and the translator is accepted as an official translator.

To clarify this point:
Translators, graduates of the Ionian University, members of the Panhellenic Association of Professional Translators Graduates of the Ionian University, or graduates of EU universities, with a translation degree properly certified by the Greek Ministry of Education, and members of the same Association.

4. Translation done by a translation who belongs to an association approved by the Judicial system and hence has a seal certifying the translation - similar to sworn translators.
I have no knowledge whatsoever of this category of translators and how it stands in Greece. Anyone who can explain?

vmelas

I have no knowledge whatsoever of this category of translators and how it stands in Greece. Anyone who can explain?

The Panhellenic Association of Translators (PEM) and the Hellenic Association of Qualified Translators (HAQT) along with the one more association based in Thessaloniki (help me out here someone with the name - it's on the tip of my tongue) all  have rulings from courts granting their members the ability to have seals and certify their translations.

This seal is only valid when used on their own translations, i.e. members cannot "certify" as valid a translation done by someone else. It is also valid only for the language pair for which they are certified, meaning that you might be a full member but only be certified for EN > ELL translations (despite let's say the fact that you might also translate FR >ELL documents). These documents can be used the same way one would use them if they were certified either by a graduate of the Ionian University or a lawyer. Case in point, I used my seal to certify translations that a client needed in order to have a new I.D. issued. The certified documentation was accepted by the police, the municipality and the marriage registrar without objections.

Rgds
Valentini Mellas
« Last Edit: 29 Feb, 2008, 13:21:46 by Valentini »

Costas Christoforidis

• Semi-Newbie
Hello,

according to the Greek law, official or certified translations can only be done by the following:

* The Translation Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
* The lawyers (in which case the lawyer must certify that he himself has done the translation and nobody else - don’t ask me why, but this is the way it is!!!)
* The graduates of the Department of Foreign Languages, Translation and Interpreting of the Ionian University, who have the same rights in terms of certifying a translation with the lawyers and the Foreign Ministry in accordance with Presidential Decree 169/17.06.2002.

There are also translators members of translators’ associations, who however, acc. to Greek legislation, have no right to do what we call “επίσημη μετάφραση” (official translation) that is accepted by public services in Greece.

What Valentini says “all  have rulings from courts granting their members the ability to have seals and certify their translations” is not quite true. The seal Valentini refers to is a seal granted by the First Instance Courts to all Associations (and not only translators’ associations) approving the establishment of the Association and in no case does it give, always acc. to the law, the right to do official translations.

However, in Greece some public services are more “flexible” and accept translations certified by any translator.

Furthermore, in Greece there is no such thing as “sworn translator”.

Regards,
Costas Christoforidis

chucksrhodes

• Semi-Newbie
There are very few that provides the sworn translation in Greece. But you can get the information about them on the web easily through a valid search.

Search Tools