Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their laws, we lie -> Ὦ ξεῖν’, ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε κείμεθα τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι (Simonides of Kea)

Guest · 23 · 40546

fastxfurious

• Semi-Newbie
Sorry for another question billberg!

Apparently the whole quotation is too long to put on my tattoo, which is kind of understandable :(

So, my question is can this be shortened? For example, can it just read "go tell the spartans" and still make sense without the whole of the epigram?

I have a feeling that it's got to be a whole thing, but if it possible you could have the "go tell the spartans" that would be great :)

If so, could you tell me the correct ancient greek part for this?

Thanks so much :) ! (sorry if you wanted me to start a new topic; tell me if I need to and I will :)

billberg23

• Words ail me.
The "go tell the Spartans" part of the epigram is just two Greek words: 
ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις
If that's all you want the tattoo to say, then that's what it will say.  If you're OK with that, then by all means use just those two words.

fastxfurious

• Semi-Newbie
Well, to me it will still mean the whole thing. The tattoo is already a spartan shield with a wolf and a sword hilt, so it's not just the epigram on it's own.

Ok, thanks :) As long as it still makes sense, and could easily be part of the whole quotation, I'll get that :) (someone who understands ancient greek wouldn't laugh at having just that on it's own, would they?)

billberg23

• Words ail me.
someone who understands ancient greek wouldn't laugh at having just that on it's own, would they?
No, not with the design context you describe.  Still, I'd throw in the first two words (Ώ ξειν’, "O stranger") if there's room:  that would help identify it as the famous quotation.
« Last Edit: 23 Jul, 2011, 23:48:23 by billberg23 »

fastxfurious

• Semi-Newbie
Ah, good idea, thanks! :)

So,

Ὦ ξεῖν' ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις

should be fine? (since that one is the original polytonic, should it contain the comma in this little snippet, or is that preference?)

Search Tools