God before Man -> ὁ Θεὸς πρὸ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου

jesskougl

• Semi-Newbie
God before Man

May I see this phrase translated into ancient Greek? Its meaning is like God is more important than man and should be put first, not like God was here before man.

I downloaded the pdf of fonts recommended earlier in the forum. I'm pretty sure it won't matter but I want to make sure, if I were to use more than one font depending on the look of each character in each font, would that change the meaning or anything? As in, say I use one font for most of the phrase but there are a few characters whose shapes I like more in a different font so I throw those in. I'm sure I won't have any ancient Greek scholars examining my tattoo, but I want to make sure for my own knowledge that I don't screw it up.

Thank you in advance,

Jessica
« Last Edit: 14 Apr, 2008, 13:31:14 by spiros »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
"God before Man"

say I use one font for most of the phrase but there are a few characters whose shapes I like more in a different font so I throw those in.
ὁ Θεὸς πρὸ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου    Ο ΘΕΟΣ ΠΡΟ ΤΟΥ ΑΝΘΡΩΠΟΥ

Of course, the Greek is just as ambiguous as the English , as far as "before" is concerned.

No problem with mixing fonts.  Happens every day on billboards in Greece.

jesskougl

• Semi-Newbie
ὁ Θεὸς πρὸ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου    Ο ΘΕΟΣ ΠΡΟ ΤΟΥ ΑΝΘΡΩΠΟΥ

Of course, the Greek is just as ambiguous as the English , as far as "before" is concerned.

No problem with mixing fonts.  Happens every day on billboards in Greece.

Thank you so much!
The Greek translation sure is long compared to plain English. I should have considered that before getting my heart set on it. :o)

Search Tools