Author Topic: A person is comprised of five senses through which he receives information  (Read 2978 times)

esnaiig

• Bnei Baruch World Center for Kabbalah Studies
Can anyone tell me if this is correct?

"a person is comprised of five senses through which he receives information."

...translated to...

"ο άνθροπος αποτελείται από πέντε αίσθησεις από που δέχεται πληροφόρηση."     
« Last Edit: 28 Dec, 2005, 15:15:15 by spiros »

banned13

Ο άνθρωπος διαθέτει πέντε αισθήσεις μέσω των οποίων δέχεται πληροφορίες.

I wouldn't say "αποτελείται", although it is the translation of "comprised", because man is not "comprised" of five senses only, but of a lot more, don't you agree?
« Last Edit: 28 Dec, 2005, 14:49:19 by alexandra_k »

esnaiig

Wow, thanks Alexandra! You made me realize that not only do I need to improve my Greek a lot, but also my life knowledge.

Unfortunately, I just have to be a translation machine on this one, having to do a literal translation of "comprised" for a friend of mine, so I'll stay with "αποτελείται". What does "διαθέτει" mean in this context?

banned13

"Διαθέτω" means have, possess.

So, if you MUST say "is comprised", the translation would be:
Ο άνθρωπος αποτελείται από πέντε αισθήσεις, μέσω των οποίων δέχεται πληροφορίες.

What does Nickel say?

banned8

Nickel says that the use of 'comprise' is somewhat amiss here.

A person comprises five senses through which he receives information would sound more natural to me, as in The house comprises three bedrooms, a bathroom, a kitchen, and a living room. There are other senses, such as the sense of balance, through which we may say a person does not "receive information".

"Is comprised of" as well as the Greek "αποτελείται από" describe the totality of a person and therefore are both (totally) wrong.

The use of "διαθέτει" (for "comprises" in both the examples above) is highly recommended. :-}

esnaiig

Thank you both very much.