Author Topic: inscription on Roman ruins  (Read 832 times)

trkyem

inscription on Roman ruins
« on: 31 Jul, 2011, 10:53:59 »
Can you please help with the translation of the inscription? Thank you.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Re: inscription on Roman ruins
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul, 2011, 16:59:17 »
Sadly, the grass growing in front of most of the inscription makes it impossible to interpret.  Any other photos?  Did someone at least make a handwritten copy?  Is it published anywhere?  Where is the site?
Τί δέ τις; Τί δ' οὔ τις; Σκιᾶς ὄναρ ἄνθρωπος. — Πίνδαρος

trkyem

« Reply #2 on: 01 Aug, 2011, 10:37:54 »
My friend took this picture. Unfortunately, I don't have another copy. Thank you for helping out.

Ion

• 1. Διατήρηση ψυχραιμίας 2. Αξιολόγηση βλάβης
« Reply #3 on: 01 Aug, 2011, 15:57:20 »
Έχω μια απορία, ποιος και πως προσδιόρισε ότι τα ερείπια είναι ρωμαϊκά, αφού η επιγραφή είναι ελληνική (ΚΑΙ ΔΑ ΔΗ ΠΑΤΡΙ), όπως πολύ καθαρά φαίνεται στην εικόνα;
There is no prosthetic for an amputated spirit
Lt Col Frank Slade (Al Pacino, Scent of a woman)

billberg23

• Words ail me.
« Reply #4 on: 01 Aug, 2011, 16:54:10 »
Έχω μια απορία, ποιος και πως προσδιόρισε ότι τα ερείπια είναι ρωμαϊκά, αφού η επιγραφή είναι ελληνική (ΚΑΙ ΔΑ ΔΗ ΠΑΤΡΙ), όπως πολύ καθαρά φαίνεται στην εικόνα;
Logical question, Ion!  "Roman ruins" is just archaeologists' jargon for "ruins from the Roman period," the period to which this architectural member (arch) and the letter forms belong.  In other words, it's from some part of the Roman empire (probably Asia Minor), and from the early centuries C.E.  
At first I thought the visible part might say ΔΑιΔΗ ΠΑΤΡΙΑ, "ancestral torches," but the word δαΐς is feminine, so can't have a neuter plural form; and the letter after ΠΑΤΡΙ is probably Λ, not A.  So ΔΑΔΗ could possibly be a native Anatolian name, masculine, in the dative case:  "to his father Dades"?
« Last Edit: 04 Aug, 2011, 18:35:15 by billberg23 »
Τί δέ τις; Τί δ' οὔ τις; Σκιᾶς ὄναρ ἄνθρωπος. — Πίνδαρος