Author Topic: πάντα [χω]ρεῖ καὶ οὐδὲν μένει -> everything flows and nothing stands still, everything gives way and nothing stands still (Heraclitus via Plato, "Cratylus" 402a)  (Read 9778 times)

Tzatziki

Hi there. I am from the USA raised in a Greek family. I speak some Greek but I don't know know Greek writing.
What is the English translation for, πάντα ρεῖ καὶ οὐδὲν μένει
I have read that there are various translations and that this means, "Everything changes and nothing remains still" rather than "Everything flows, nothing stands still"
Which is the accurate translation? I am wanting a tattoo of this quote to represent the tough times and change throughout my life in the last year.
Also, would it make more sense for this quote to be in Ancient Greek because of its origin or is modern fine?
Thank you for your time!
« Last Edit: 07 Jun, 2015, 03:52:37 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Welcome to the Forum, Tzatziki!  You'll find much more than an answer to your question here:  https://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php?topic=9567.0.
The Heraclitus quotation is indeed ancient Greek, and should probably remain that way, as you suggest.  The question remains, which version?  Πάντα ῥεῖ is by far the best known and most popular, but πάντα χωρεῖ would appear to be more authentic.  Let's hear your thoughts ... 
Τί δέ τις; Τί δ' οὔ τις; Σκιᾶς ὄναρ ἄνθρωπος. — Πίνδαρος

Tzatziki

Thank you so much for your reply! I do like the πάντα χωρεῖ version better. Especially if its more authentic. It also looks and sounds nicer. (to me)
Thanks for the link! That thread was so helpful. I really love the font here: http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/4433/pantaxoreiur4.jpg  The thing is, that is not ancient Greek. That is modern, correct? Do you know if it would it be unacceptable by Greek standards to get a tattoo of this quote in modern Greek rather than ancient?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
The thing is, that is not ancient Greek. That is modern, correct?
Not really.  Those letter forms are all based on medieval script that goes back to late antiquity.  So feel free to use this kind of lower-case font, or even the most modern polytonic Greek fonts, for ancient Greek.
Τί δέ τις; Τί δ' οὔ τις; Σκιᾶς ὄναρ ἄνθρωπος. — Πίνδαρος

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
    • spiros.doikas
    • greektranslator
    • doikas
    • lavagraph
    • Greek translator CV
τὰ πάντα ῥεῖ καὶ οὐδὲν μένει.
Tà pánta rheî kaì oudèn ménei.
"Everything flows, nothing stands still."
Attributed to Heraclitus — Plato, in his dialogue Cratylus, recounts Heraclitus' saying:
τὰ ὄντα ἰέναι τε πάντα καὶ μένειν οὐδέν
Tà ónta iénai te pánta kaì ménein oudèn
"[That] things that exist move and nothing remains still",[23] which he expands:
πάντα χωρεῖ καὶ οὐδὲν μένει καὶ δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης
Pánta khōreî kaì oudèn ménei kaì dìs es tòn autòn potamòn ouk àn embaíēs
"All things move and nothing remains still, and you cannot step twice into the same stream"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greek_phrases