[Closed] Translator wanted for immediate start!

JR777 · 12 · 2934

Offline JR777

• Semi-Newbie
Translator needed to work on project for 5 months (contract starting now and ending 31 October 2008).

Work mostly from English to Greek, with some administration tasks.

Will be contracted directly with the Public Sector (Ministry of Interior) and will be mainly translating the work of a freelance consultant working on the same project, as well as some translation tasks for Agency personnell.

Conditions are generally very good, job can get demanding at times and very relaxed during other times. 

Candidates must have excellent translation skills (emphasis on quality of written Greek, attention to detail and speed of translation).

Requires physical presence at government offices, hours range according to daily demands.

Pay is very good (2.200 Euros per month [TEBE, "Symbash Ergou"), with FPA of 20% paid by the Employer].

Anyone interested please send CV ASAP.

Applications must be sent immediately as the need is urgent.

Thank-you.
« Last Edit: 25 Jul, 2008, 16:02:19 by spiros »

Offline diceman

• Talk less, say more.
    • meta|φραση School of Translation Studies
ΦΠΑ 20%; Είναι 19%.

Paid by the Employer? Ε, από ποιον άλλον; Αφού δικός του φόρος είναι!

Τέλος, έχετε ακούσει ποτέ ολόκληρο υπουργείο να διαφημίζει θέση, έστω και θέση ταπεινού μεταφραστή, μέσω ενός απλού φόρουμ, και να ζητάει να στείλετε βιογραφικά σε διεύθυνση hotmail? Έχουμε σαλτάρει εντελώς;

Βασίλης Μπαμπούρης
meta|φραση School of Translation Studies

Offline JR777

• Semi-Newbie
I am sorry about the 20% for FPA, you are right its 19%, I thought I'd round it off to make it easy.  Sorry if that upset you.  And yes, it IS supposed to be paid by the Employer but I thought I'd say it anyway since many things happen in the Greek workplace that are outrageous. 

Now, as for your other comment about the Ministry posting a job on a forum and using a hotmail email address, let me say the following:

1.  I regard Translatum to be a reputable forum and I sincerely respect the forum members and have employed Translatum forum members in the past.  It is not just a "simple forum" - it gives you access to top quality, professional translators that are looking for a job.  Is there a problem with that?  Don't you, as a forum member yourself, respect what you (or other members) can offer to a potential employer? 

2. Although the translator chosen will have a contract with the Ministry of Interior, they will be assigned exclusively to me.  I am a private freelancer, working as an external contractor for the Ministry for over 8 years and have always hired translators (although I speak and read Greek, I cannot write Greek well).  I am personally responsible for finding and selecting a translator and the Greek Government has agreed to paid for her/him.  So, no, nobody has "ΣΑΛΤΑΡΕΙ" and no, it is not strange.  It is a serious and important project that requires translation support from a serious individual. 

3.  If you don't like hotmail, I have four other email accounts that you can use.  If this, too, is not sufficient, you can send your CV by mail, or in person, should you request to do so.  For your information, many other applicants didn't seem to mind the hotmail address....

4. Why do people's minds often go straight towards saying something negative, something undermining?  Why do people assume, from the very beginning, that something is "not right" rather than being positive, or at least neutral?

Offline diceman

• Talk less, say more.
    • meta|φραση School of Translation Studies
JR777,

Don't take it personally. My "Have we gone completely nuts?" comment referred to the state of the job market in Greece.

Translatum is a great forum but it's not the proper forum (pun intended) for a state agency to announce a job opening.

Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo; it's all the same to me if the post is not signed with a real name. I am not saying you are a fraud, I am just saying that as a moderator I would prefer such messages to be signed. Since I can't force you to do that, I'm just voicing my disagreement on protocol.

As for your question "Why do people assume, from the very beginning, that something is "not right" rather than being positive, or at least neutral?", I believe you've already answered it yourself: "...many things happen in the Greek workplace that are outrageous."

JR777, I wish you luck in your effort to find a "serious individual".
Βασίλης Μπαμπούρης
meta|φραση School of Translation Studies

Offline JR777

• Semi-Newbie
As I mentioned, the job is not posted by a State Agency, but by ME personally, a private contractor.  So, I believe posting this job on this forum is entirely proper. 

I also have no problem signing my name, and those who send me an email to the hotmail address would see my name.  I just thought that since I am not a company or a government official, my name will mean nothing to people.

But anyway, I am grateful for your well-wishes.  If you know of anyone who might be interested in this position please let them, or me, know.

By the way.... "Diceman" - I assume that is your real name?  As a forum member, I would like to know the real name of those who are moderating my posts...   ;-)

« Last Edit: 25 Jul, 2008, 16:00:49 by spiros »

Offline wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
    • vicky.papaprodromou
    • @hellenic_wings
    • hellenicwings
    • Βίκυ Παπαπροδρόμου: ό,τι πολύ αγάπησα (ποίηση, πεζογραφία & μουσική)
Diceman's name appears in his signature below each post of his.

Offline JR777

• Semi-Newbie
Geia sas paidia!! Xairomai pou sas "gnwrizw" Vasili kai Georgio!! Ante twra na vroume kai kana kalo metafrasth / metafrastria!!!

Offline Pit

• Panagiotis Stamatelos
    • My Professional Website
Vasilis is right, but the other "guy" is actually a woman... Her name is Vicky and she is a very important person on this site. Some people write their name under the message and others write their name under their nickname... Vicky has written a motto by George Themelis under her message, while Vasilis has put his signature!
« Last Edit: 21 May, 2008, 02:08:15 by pit »
Laughter translates into any language.

Offline JR777

• Semi-Newbie
Thank you to those of you who have sent your CV, many of which are most impressive.  We are still accepting CVs for further evaluation so please feel free to apply.

Regards

Offline evdoxia

• Translator | Reviewer | Merenda |
    • https://www.facebook.com/40dotscom
    • https://twitter.com/40dots
    • http://gr.linkedin.com/in/40dots
    • https://plus.google.com/118113807842955905439/about
    • 40dots
Για όσους είχαν απορίες σχετικά με την αυτήν την αγγελία εργασίας, ήθελα να σας πω ότι προσλήφθηκα εγώ στη θέση της μεταφράστριας.
Όποιος έχει απορίες και θέλει διευκρινίσεις μπορεί να επικοινωνήσει μαζί μου για να του/της λύσω.

Πάντως, αυτή τη φορά, η έλλειψη καχυποψίας μου με οδήγησε σε καλό δρόμο (επειδή συνήθως με καταστρέφει :-) !

Καλό ΣΒΚ
Ευδοξία Ρέντα
erenta AT ath.forthnet.gr
« Last Edit: 25 Jul, 2008, 19:06:05 by spiros »
Translation is the art of failure – Umberto Eco

Offline wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
    • vicky.papaprodromou
    • @hellenic_wings
    • hellenicwings
    • Βίκυ Παπαπροδρόμου: ό,τι πολύ αγάπησα (ποίηση, πεζογραφία & μουσική)
Μπράβο, Ευδοξούλι.

Και μη θαρρείς πως είσαι μόνο εσύ που δεινοπαθείς λόγω έλλειψης καχυποψίας. :-)

Offline spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
    • spiros.doikas
    • greektranslator
    • doikas
    • lavagraph
    • Greek translator CV
Ευχαριστούμε για την ενημέρωση, Ευδοξία.

Θα συμφωνήσω και με τη Βίκυ :-)

Search Tools