tiny but influential -> τυτθὴ ἀλλὰ δυνατή

Figo · 6 · 922

Figo

• Semi-Newbie
Hello!

I'm about to graduate with a degree in Ancient History and would like to commemorate this with a tattoo... A couple of years ago I remember reading of someone in the ancient world who was described by his peers as 'tiny but influential'... Unfortunately I can't remember where I read this, but think this phrase would be perfect for me as I'm a very tiny lady! Could somebody please translate this phrase into Ancient Greek? Also, if anyone knows where this phrase comes from, I'd be really grateful if you could shout it out.

Thanks,
Fi
« Last Edit: 01 Apr, 2009, 17:07:56 by spiros »

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Also, if anyone knows where this phrase comes from, I'd be really grateful if you could shout it out.
Sorry, no can do.  But if you want a fairly poetic translation of "tiny but influential," here's

τυτθὴ ἀλλὰ δυνατή

mavrodon

In modern Greek we usually say of persons of small size but disproportionate capabilities, for males: "μικρός το δέμας αλλά δυνατός" and for females: "μικρή or μικρά το δέμας αλλά δυνατή". Instead of "δυνατός/ή" we could use "ισχυρός/ά-ή" or "σημαίνων/ουσα".
« Last Edit: 01 Apr, 2009, 22:15:35 by mavrodon »

Figo

• Semi-Newbie
Thanks for your help, but I was wondering if anyone had a direct translation into the ancient Greek?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Tυτθὴ ἀλλὰ δυνατή is directly into ancient Greek, Figo. You want it less poetic? Use μικρὰ instead of τυτθὴ. 

Search Tools