dancing-round-the-handbag → χορός γύρω από τις τσάντες, ξεσηκωτικό

aimigr · 35 · 7043

DiVx

Δεν καταλαβάινω τι συζητάμε.

Ο ορισμός τον οποίο σχολίασες λέει:

"It’s a cliché that girls from a particular English county (εδώ εννοεί το Essex) like to dance around their handbags."

"Essex Girls'

In the 1980s a new phenomenon emerged from Essex: the Essex Girl. It was a term used to describe working class teenagers and young women from Essex said to be sexually promiscuous, loud, vulgar, scantily-dressed and of low intelligence. The term and the reputation it brought with it has waned over the years, but let's look back at what it was.

It is not clear how the term Essex Girl came to be. However it is likely that a comedian visiting an Essex venue told some derogatory jokes about local girls and discovered that Essex girls had a sense of humour, and could laugh at themselves, and it snowballed from there. Not all Essex girls embraced the title - many were offended by it, which is quite reasonable as statistically Essex girls were no more sexually promiscuous, nor were they of lower intelligence than their counterparts any other part of the UK."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A6581720

vbd.

Dancing around the handbag

[...]

Δεν ξέρω τι ακριβώς σημαίνει.

Την έκφραση την είχα κοιτάξει από χθες
που έδωσα την πρώτη απάντηση. Αναφέρεται ως επί το πλείστον σε κορίτσια και δη από το Έσεξ (φημισμένες tarts worldwide). Τώρα, αν έχει γενικευτεί τόσο ώστε να αναφέρεται στους πάντες, ίσως, δεν μπορώ να το πω με βεβαιότητα και γι' αυτό άλλωστε το έβαλα σε παρένθεση.

Ναι, αλλά εξακολουθεί να αναφέρεται στην συγκεκριμένη κομητεία, όπως εδώ λέμε παιδάκια βορείων προαστίων κι ας μην είναι από τα Βόρεια προάστια.
At last, I have peace.

DiVx

Ναι και τι θες να πεις με αυτό το μάλλον κακεντρεχές σχόλιο EviH;

1. Όχι όταν έγραψα εκείνο το αρχικό ποστ, δεν ήμουν σίγουρος για τη σημασία του "dancing around the handbag". Το επιβεβαίωσα αργότερα. Δεν το δήλωσα ευθαρσώς; Θέλει πολλή συζήτηση; Για το Essex girl δεν ετέθη ποτέ ζήτημα (έχω πολλές καλές φίλες από το Έσσεξ).
2. Ναι, αναφέρεται σε κορίτσια και δη από το Έσεξ, από εκεί έχει ξεκινήσει το Essex girls. Δεν το είπαμε αυτό και δεν το τεκμηριώσαμε; Πρέπει να συζητάμε το αυτονόητο; Ή μήπως υπάρχει περίπτωση να ξεκίνησε από την Τρούμπα και να το ονομάσαμε Essex girls επειδή έτσι μας άρεσε;

3. Ναι, ακριβώς. Για μένα αυτό είναι αυτονόητο. Γιατί πρέπει να το συζητήσω; Θα ήταν ποτέ δυνατό να το περιορίσουμε στα 10 μέτρα από τα σύνορα της κομητείας; Έχει επεκταθεί τόσο πολύ, ώστε να είναι πια στάνταρ λεξιλόγιο ανά την υφήλιο κατά την γνώμη σου; Ή μήπως η δεκαετία του 80 απ' όπου ξεκίνησε, απέχει τόσο πολύ απ΄το 2008, ώστε να μιλάμε για κάτι εντελώς άλλο. Ακόμα και σήμερα οι κοπέλες από το Essex φέρουν την φήμη της "εύκολης".

Οπότε, εξακολουθώ να μην καταλαβαίνω τι θέλεις να πεις κι αυτό μάλλον γιατί δεν έχεις και κάτι να πεις. Αν θέλεις να πεις κάτι συγκεκριμένο, σε παρακαλώ πέστο. Το να συρράβεις επιλεκτικά δικές μου φράσεις, μου θυμίζει την δημοφιλή πρακτική των δημοσιογράφων (aka "τα κοράκια") που παίρνουν φράσεις ξεκομμένες από λόγια τρίτων, τις συρράβουν και βγάζουν αυτό που θέλουν αυτοί για να φανούν.

Γιατί όμως πρέπει εγώ να σου κάνω μάθημα σύγχρονου Αγγλικού πολιτισμού Ev1H, γιατί πρέπει να δικαιολογηθώ σε εσένα και πάνω απ' όλα γιατί πρέπει να φάω αυτό το βιτριόλι στο πρόσωπο;

« Last Edit: 12 Jun, 2008, 21:45:45 by Dimitris V. »

DiVx

"Essex - what's the deal?
Is Essex really portrayed as that much of a "chav town" and why do Essex girls have to bring with them the stereotypical reputation?
I am a born and bred Essex girl and want to know does everyone think that we are stupid and easy???    

25th Sep 2005 19:53:21
Posted by barbie86
Total Posts: 4123
Online Status: Offline   Re: Essex - what's the deal?
no, i don't think that - i've never even been 2 essex lol. people do tho don't they? or they at least think that essex girls r common n dumb"

http://www.newstudent.org/forums/1/6667/898393

"Re: Essex - what's the deal?
I'm an essex girl and proud of it, i hate having to answer to my supposed "essex reputation" i'm not a stereotypical essex girl if there are any stereotypical essex girls left. I don't walk around with near high boots or short skirts and i deffiantly don't go around like a chav! As soon as i say i'm an essex blonde everyone just assumes i sleep around! GOD! =0<"

Re: Essex - what's the deal?
wel, i've just moved to essex and people give me the look when i tell them my name is Tracy. i think Essex girls are pretty much over rated and everyone believes they have class. maybe they dont!

Re: Essex - what's the deal?
i live with 2 essex girls and they are much less slutty than most other women around !

Girls in the UK, especially Newcastle and Essex, also have worldwide reputations for having the "loosest" morals, which is why many single European men (and some married ones) have weekend "business trips" to Newcastle. In Newcastle, where I live, it is said that any girl in town on a Friday or Saturday night can be bought for a drink.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/arizona/145128-should-i-move-family-uk-6.html

Speaking of dogs, I was a bit confused by Jeff referring ladies in high heels and short skirts and then saying that dogs are not allowed on the course.....

(Apologies to all Essex girls. One of my best friends is an Essex girl, but even after 10 years living in Scotland, she still can't use a computer so, thank goodness she can't read this).
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2008/05/16/do1601.xml

1) I was born in Essex, and am therefore an Essex girl. For Australian visitors, Essex Girl means much the same as I believe a “Sheila” does in Australia. However, I attempt to subvert the stereotype by wearing long skirts and sometimes dress head to toe in black (see photo, by the Strauss memorial in the Stadtpark).

http://information-literacy.blogspot.com/2007_01_01_archive.html
« Last Edit: 12 Jun, 2008, 22:55:11 by Dimitris V. »

Search Tools