Arthur -> Αρθούρος

Elias71

What is the Greek equivalent to the name "Arthur"? I do not mean simply saying Άρθουρ, I am wondering if there is actually a Greek version, as Arthur was a saint was he not? Or is he not coincidered a saint in the Orthodox church?

I tried being a little creative and trying Άρθυρας, Άρθουρας and even Αρθούριος for fun in google, but got no results (I wonder why :P). This has been bugging me for a bit. Thanks.
« Last Edit: 18 Mar, 2007, 16:49:43 by wings »

Elias71

Thanks. It's funny how I guessed Αρθούριος, but Αρθούρος never even came close to entering my mind. :P

tsioutsiou

On the contrary, yours struck me as a good guess.

Elias71

Come to think of it, Αρθούριος does sound like a more noble name (suitable for a king like King Arthur).

banned8

There's some interesting information about the origin of the name Arthur here.

The boy's name Arthur is pronounced AR-ther. It is of Celtic origin, and its meaning is "bear; stone." Possible sources include an Irish Gaelic word meaning "stone"; Artorius, a Latin family name; and "artos", the Celtic word for "bear." Another possible source is Arnthor, an Ancient Germanic name meaning "Thor, the eagle." May also mean "noble, courageous." King Arthur of Britain (sixth century) and his Round Table of knights have become legendary figures. Often used in the Middle Ages, but uncommon until the early 19th century, when Arthur Wellesley, the Duke of Wellington, vanquished Napoleon. Tennyson's "Idylls of the King" (19th century) and the Victorian romanticism of things medieval in general and of Arthurian legend in particular promoted its use. Arturo is the Italian and Spanish form; Arto and Arrturi are Finnish. Columnist Art Buchwald; actor Art Carney; tennis star Arthur Ashe; writer Arthur C. Clarke; playwright Arthur Miller.
There are 17 variant forms for Arthur: Aart, Arrt, Art, Artair, Arte, Arther, Arthor, Arthuro, Artie, Arto, Artor, Artro, Artturi, Artur, Arturo, Artus and Arty.

I don't think there's ever been a saint by that name. What is more interesting is that it may derive from a Celtic word for "bear": "artos". The Greek for "bear" is of course "arktos", hence the name of that bright star, Arcturus (=the bear watcher). A Greek form for the name that was used in the past but has fallen out of use was Αρταίος (!).

tsioutsiou

What is more interesting is that it may derive from a Celtic word for "bear": "artos". The Greek for "bear" is of course "arktos", hence the name of that bright star, Arcturus (=the bear watcher). A Greek form for the name that was used in the past but has fallen out of use was Αρταίος (!).

A, οπότε έτσι βγαίνει και ο " Αρκτούρος" της Προστασίας της Αρκούδας

banned8

Επειδή βρίσκεται στην προέκταση της ουράς της Μεγάλης Άρκτου, κάποιοι θεωρούν ότι το Αρκτούρος προέρχεται από το άρκτος + ουρά και άλλοι από το άρκτος + ούρος, όπου ούρος είναι ο φύλακας, ο φρουρός, ο επόπτης («Νέστωρ οἷος ἔμιμνε Γερήνιος, οὖρος Ἀχαιῶν», Ομ.Ιλ). Αυτή η δεύτερη ετυμολογία φαίνεται να είναι επικρατέστερη, π.χ. Britannica ("bear guard"), ευρήματα Google με Arcturus και "bear watcher" ή "bear guard" (χωρίς να λείπουν τα "bear's tail") αλλά και από τον Αρκτούρο της προστασίας της αρκούδας.

Addendum: Υπάρχει άλλωστε και η συνώνυμη ονομασία Αρκτοφύλαξ (Arctophylax).
« Last Edit: 04 Mar, 2006, 00:40:30 by nickel »

Search Tools