Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1121761

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I would appreciate some assistance in translating the following quote back in into Archaic Greek if possible? It is a quote from Homer's Odyssey and loosely translated as:

'There is a time for many words, and there is also a time for sleep'

I'm looking to get it tattooed, it would be great if someone could provide it in upper and lower case text?
Wow, that's a tall order, Al, translating Homer back into Homer's language!  Reminds me of Borges' short story, "Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote," in which Pierre so immerses himself in Cervantes' time and culture that he can sit down and write the entire work without missing a syllable.  Wouldn't you be satisfied with Homer's original words, from Odyssey 11.379?

ὥρη μὲν πολέων μύθων, ὥρη δὲ καὶ ὕπνου
ΩΡΗ ΜΕΝ ΠΟΛΕΩΝ ΜΥΘΩΝ, ΩΡΗ ΔΕ ΚΑΙ ΥΠΝΟΥ

Alex_Apple

• Semi-Newbie
Well you have to ask these questions, or you'll never know :-) Thought, it might be tricky to get the archaic translation!

However, this translation is fantastic. Thank you very much for your help!

Best Regards
AL

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Thought, it might be tricky to get the archaic translation!
However, this translation is fantastic.
Again, Al, it ain't a translation.  It's the original Greek.  The English you quoted is a translation.

musil02

• Semi-Newbie
Hello,
I'im so sorry I don't understand how can I use this website. I need just only one think,i looking for a translation of the name Catherine in Doric Greek. Can here somebody help me with this? It is for tattoo. Thank you very much.

Petr czech republic
« Last Edit: 28 Nov, 2010, 18:59:16 by wings »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
i looking for a translation of the name Catherine in Doric Greek.
Dear Petr, we're not sure  why you want this name in "Doric" Greek (the language of the ancient Spartans), since the saint Catherine who first had the name is from the 4th century A.D.!  You might read this first, then modify your request:  http://www.behindthename.com/name/katherine.
The simplest thing would be to use the modern Greek version of the name:  Κατερίνα.
We will soon move your post to the proper thread ("Tattoos and Ancient Greek," top of page).
« Last Edit: 28 Nov, 2010, 19:42:33 by billberg23 »

Leeroytull

• Semi-Newbie
I am working on a tatoo, and I am looking for some guidance in the greek language.  I figured this forum may be a good place to start.

My Son's name is Luke, as in one of the Gospels. I have his middle name tatoo'd on my back in its original language 'hebrew' and I was hoping to tatoo his first name in its original language, from what I am to acertain 'greek'.  Just a couple of quick google searches indicate his name is originally greek, and somehow pertains to a city in south Italy 'Lucanus'.  I have gone over pages and pages of your forum where i have read individuals questions and seen the difficulty in translating names.  Seeing how this was originally greek and Luke is the translation I figured it may be easier to deal with. Is the original Luke or is it just like the city Lucanus?

Is this accurate (Λουκᾶς)?  Not my intention to inject greeklish, just looking for a conformation mostly.

billberg23

• Words ail me.

Leeroytull

• Semi-Newbie
Your forum here is very informative and abundantly helpful.  I thank you all for the wonderful work that you have been doing here.  The language beautiful, and the linguists at work are poetic. 

I appreciate the response billberg23 and if anyone has anything else to add, or anyone that can tell me more about the name itself, I will be paying attention.

Thank you again billberg23, and to all.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Just a couple of quick google searches indicate his name is originally greek, and somehow pertains to a city in south Italy 'Lucanus'.
"Lucanus" would be another masculine name like Λουκᾶς, only this time Latin rather than Greek.  Both names designate a "man of Lucania," a region of southern Italy with a mixed population that had both Greek and indigenous elements.  As a Christian name, of course, "Luke" goes back to the Gentile convert, a physician who often accompanied St. Paul and to whom one of the Gospels is attributed.  If anyone can tell us why that person would have had a name that connected him with Italian Lucania, both Leeroy and I would be grateful.

marisa1980

• Semi-Newbie
He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone -> Ὁ ἀναμάρτητος ὑμῶν πρῶτος ἐπ' αὐτὴν βαλέτω λίθον

Hello,

My name is Marisa and I am from Portugal. I need some help with a greek translation.
I want to make a tattoo with a quote from the bible new testament that was written originally in ancient greek. So I wonder if anyone can help me translate the quote:

He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone

I found a site that has the english and greek version, but I don't know where the quote in greek starts.
Can anybody help me?  

Thank You!
« Last Edit: 17 Feb, 2011, 17:48:40 by spiros »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone
John 8:7:
Ὁ ἀναμάρτητος ὑμῶν πρῶτος ἐπ' αὐτὴν βαλέτω λίθον.

Disclaimer:  This tattoo will violate the injunction at Leviticus 19:28, which lists tattooing among the abominations.  Management will not be responsible for the consequences.

JMac24

• Semi-Newbie
There is a picture that goes with this quotation?  A picture of what?  Can you give us the URL?

Anyway, let's get Homeric here:

ΕΙ ΣΕ ΧΡΗ ΙΝΑ ΖΗΙΣ ΕΡΠΕΙΝ
ΤΕΘΝΑΘΙ ΔΗ ΑΝΑΣΤΑΣ

Hello !  I have scoured the net for the correct translation of this phrase and everywhere it seems to be different?   Considering this is the greek translation page and not wiki answers or something I am going to assume this is the correct translation?

How would it be broken up.  As in.  I am going to get half tattooed on one calf and half on another.  So I kind of want it split evenly if that makes sense?
Thanks so much in advance for the help!

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Hello !  I have scoured the net for the correct translation of this phrase and everywhere it seems to be different?   Considering this is the greek translation page and not wiki answers or something I am going to assume this is the correct translation?

How would it be broken up.  As in.  I am going to get half tattooed on one calf and half on another.  So I kind of want it split evenly if that makes sense?
Thanks so much in advance for the help!
It's already split, Champ.  Top line: "If you need to crawl to live."  Bottom line:  "Stand up and die."

JMac24

• Semi-Newbie
It's already split, Champ.  Top line: "If you need to crawl to live."  Bottom line:  "Stand up and die."

What a great forum.  Thank you so much :)  Have  good one. 

marisa1980

• Semi-Newbie
John 8:7:
Ὁ ἀναμάρτητος ὑμῶν πρῶτος ἐπ' αὐτὴν βαλέτω λίθον.

Disclaimer:  This tattoo will violate the injunction at Leviticus 19:28, which lists tattooing among the abominations.  Management will not be responsible for the consequences.

Hello!
Thank you very much for the translation. I had found this site: http://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/new-testament/john/8.asp
and the translation is almost the same. I guess it can be both way. I just would like to take the "at her" and end the quote with "stone". Did you take it? Because in the site it's the exact same words, but some are in another place.
I don't understand the disclaimer! Isn't this forum about greek tattoos? It's only mine that is disrespectful?

Thank you again!

Search Tools