Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1122624

powell__c

Well, eternal love looks better than forever love in greek lettering so i am going to go with it. Ill also be using Κάιλα for Kyla because it looks better than the one before that. The appointment is tommorrow so i will take some pictures to show all you who helped. Thanks again.

powell__c

from what you all here have said and my mothers input im a little confused as what to use for the name Kyla. Can someone give me the most proper form since it is going to be a tattoo. Thanx

banned8

Kyla is not a Greek name, so there is no Greek equivalent. I understand it is pronounced to rhyme with 'compiler' or 'Tyler'. (Let me know if this particular Kyla pronounces it otherwise.) Therefore in Greek transliteration it would be spelled Κάιλα.

skycamefalling

• Semi-Newbie
My grandfather died recentley and he was the strongest  tie in our family.  He cherished our greek heritage the most out of anyone and since I've decided to get a tattoo I want it to be something meaningful.  Since it will be on me for the rest of my life I don't want it to be something I will regret.  I plan to get it across my back right below the shoulder line in a very small arc.  I want to get a greek word or phrase that would not only look good, but mean a lot at the same time. 

I had in mind:

-Remember
-Forever
-Family

that's it, though it seems pretty shallow I am not very knowledable on any greek phrases that might be a little more appropriate, if anyone here has any help that would be great, I was his closest grandson and I would really like to have something to not only remind me of my greek heritage but of my papou.

banned8

Μέμνησο is the right word for ‘Remember’. It is known from this story (from Herodotus) about Darius, king of Persia.

When Darius heard of the burning of Sardis, he burst into a paroxysm of rage. It was against the obscure strangers who had dared to burn one of his capitals that his wrath was chiefly directed. "The Athenians!" he exclaimed, "who are they?" Upon being informed he took his bow, shot an arrow high into the air, saying, "Grant me, Jove, to take vengeance upon the Athenians!" And he charged one of his attendants to remind him thrice every day at dinner "Sire, remember the Athenians." (Μέμνησο των Αθηναίων.)
http://ancienthistory.about.com/library/bl/bl_smithhistoryofgreece7.htm
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-52,GGLG:en&q=%22remember+the+athenians

It also appears in many lesser known sayings, such as:
The skeptics’ “Νήφε και μέμνησο απιστείν” (Be sober and remember to disbelieve.)

Or the one we here should subscribe to:
Εν καιροίς χαλεποίς μέμνησο της γλώσσης” (In times of hardship, remember / turn to language.)

I therefore you skip 'forever' and go for:

ΜΕΜΝΗΣΟ ΤΗΣ ΟΙΚΟΓΕΝΕΙΑΣ

Μέμνησο της οικογενείας.

(Remember the family.)

skycamefalling

• Semi-Newbie
I'm sorry for the trouble but I think I stumbled upon something that I might rather have

"Eternal Life"
im not sure whether it would be either all capitalized or not, so both cases would be awesome. 

Thanks again for all the help!
« Last Edit: 19 Jan, 2006, 09:14:06 by skycamefalling »

T-mac77

• Semi-Newbie
Can someone please tell me how to say "Never Enough" in greek, or ancient greek, as in It's "Never Enough", or There's"Never Enough"
« Last Edit: 27 Jan, 2006, 12:02:24 by wings »

banned8

My suggestion is based on Epicurus' "For the profligate, enough is never enough". In Greek, "Ουδέν ικανόν ω ολίγον το ικανόν". The negative connotation is removed if you say "Ουδέν ικανόν" (Nothing is enough).

Ουδέν ικανόν

stoll05

• Semi-Newbie
I am also thinking about getting an acient greek tattoo.  My quote is "Act well your part, there all the honour lies" from Alexander Pope's "Essay on Men." it is a phrase that I try to live my life by and I want it to be tattooed on my ankle so it is always there but I want it to be in Ancient Greek becuase it is such a Beautiful Language.

artsygirl

• Semi-Newbie
I am thinking about getting a small tattoo on my foot.  My favorite Greek sculpture is the Winged Nike of Samothrace.  I would like to get the word "strength" in Greek on my foot along with a portion of her wing or some other small part of her.  Does anyone have ideas or help with the translation for "strength" or a better word.  I have also thought of using her name "victory".

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Ηi there.

The word "strength" has already been translated in this forum. Please look at: https://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php?topic=1778.msg8108#msg8108

As for "victory" you can say νίκη exactly as in the name of the sculpture you mentioned..
« Last Edit: 30 Jan, 2006, 10:34:43 by wings »

daviddebaere

• Semi-Newbie
Is it possible to translate 'Humble' , 'saved' and 'eternal life'
Maybe if possible in several fonts, because i want to get a tattoo, and just lookin what would look the best.
Thanks

Search Tools