Google ads displayed in Japanese / Chinese in Joomla / Mambo installation with UTF-8 character set

spiros · 1 · 3204

Offline spiros

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
    • Posts: 804749
    • Gender:Male
  • point d’amour
    • spiros.doikas
    • greektranslator
    • doikas
    • lavagraph
    • Greek translator CV
It appears that Joomla navigation bar and header are interfering with the language detection. You can try ignoring these portions of your site with section targeting.

To implement section targeting, you'll need to add a set of special HTML comment tags to your code to mark the beginning and end of whichever section(s) you'd like to emphasize or ignore for ad targeting. You will have to wait a couple of weeks for your pages to be indexed again by Google. The tags and instructions for adding them to your HTML code can be found at http://www.google.com/support/adsense/bin/answer.py?answer=23168. For example:

The HTML tags to emphasize a page section take the following format:
Code: [Select]
<!-- google_ad_section_start -->

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

You can also designate sections you'd like to have ignored by adding a (weight=ignore) to the starting tag:
Code: [Select]
<!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->
With these tags added to your HTML code, your final code may look like the following:
Code: [Select]
<html><head><title>Section targeting</title></head>
<body>
<!-- google_ad_section_start -->

This is the text of your web page. Most of your content resides here.
Code: [Select]
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
</body>
</html>

Quote
I hope you do not mind me contacting you directly.  You seem to have a good grasp on charset information and I do not. Smiley  I did not want to hijack the existing thread with my question which I think is off-topic.

I'm hoping you wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction... (correct thread, or correct search terms, etc.)

I'm having an issue with my AdSense ads being served up in Japanese (I think) and I believe it is related to a charset issue.

I have a Joomla (1.0.Cool site and am also running SMF 1.1 RC2.  My AdSense ads display correctly all over my site except for (wrapped) SMF forum pages.

I started trying to follow some instructions yesterday to "convert" SMF to use UTF-8 but quickly realized I was in a bit over my head and had to revert back to older versions of the code.

Anyway, not looking for a hand-me-out but if you could point me towards a thread you think might be the correct place for me to look that'd be great.
« Last Edit: 04 May, 2006, 18:19:03 by spiros »


 

Search Tools