dnm · 10 · 2635

dnm

• Semi-Newbie
Hello out there.

I'm needing a Greek translation of the phrase

Faith is reason grown courageous

and the name

Wiltoft

Really hope that some of you can help me out.

Cheers.

- dnm
« Last Edit: 05 Jan, 2009, 01:01:18 by spiros »

vmelas

I am not sure whether you need this in Modern or ancient Greek. This is what it would be in modern Greek: «Πίστη είναι όταν η λογική γίνεται θάρρος»

The sentence does not make a lot of sense in English though. Is it a standard motto or something you created? Also, can you elaborate its meaning? I took it to mean that when what we call logic becomes courage then we have faith. Was I off the mark?

dnm

• Semi-Newbie
I am not sure whether you need this in Modern or ancient Greek. This is what it would be in modern Greek: «Πίστη είναι όταν η λογική γίνεται θάρρος»

The sentence does not make a lot of sense in English though. Is it a standard motto or something you created? Also, can you elaborate its meaning? I took it to mean that when what we call logic becomes courage then we have faith. Was I off the mark?

I got the phrase from an American author named Sherwood Eddy. As far as i understand the phrase means that because of faith there is courageous.

What about the name, can you possible translate that also?

And thanks for the quick reply.

vmelas

Your last name would be written in Greek as Γουίλτοφτ . I am not sure whether you wanted it transliterated or whether you were asking if it has a meaning in Greek. For the other sentence, can you provide the name of the book and maybe more context i.e. text that surrounds the sentence? This would help us understand the particular way the author is using to convey his message.

vmelas

I did a Google search with the sentence you gave us and I think that the translation I provided is correct. Here are the quotes from Sherwood Eddy that I found most often and they seem to be revolving around the same subject/idea that faith is reason with a twist :)

Faith is not contrary to reason.
Faith is not trying to believe something regardless of the evidence.
Faith is daring to do something regardless of the consequences.
Faith is reason grown courageous.
Sherwood Eddy

From what I see Sherwood Eddy has written books on faith and religion. In that perspective, his view is that when reason grows courageous (i.e. not following the normal and "accepted" paths) then it becomes faith; If you have faith you can do things that normally would seem to contradict reason but that in essence is not true since reason matures when it becomes courage. Like he says in the second quote I mention above, faith is not trying to believe in something regardless on whether there is evidence or not, i.e. he does not believe that faith is blind.

Let me know if this helps you at all :)

dnm

• Semi-Newbie
Thank you for such an effort.

Yes I was only looking for the transliterated, so that's just fine :)

As for the phrase I'm getting more confused, because I'm not sure whether I've understood the phrase correct or not.
Can you be more specific about what you think the phrase means?

vbd.

I think Valentini got it right. Reason means logic, rationale. "Grown courageous" means "that has become brave". Therefore when your rationale, the way you ratiocinate, becomes brave, in other words when you have an open mind and when you have the boldness to believe in something with passion, then that is faith. That's what I'm getting.
At last, I have peace.

dnm

• Semi-Newbie
Okay thanks :)

But did any of you know wheter there exist a Greek font or not ?

And how would the phrase be in ancient greek? :)

Falcon

• Dimitra Tsakiroglou
Hi,
I have exactly the same understanding of "reason grown courageous" as "reason becoming courageous or brave" as mentioned by the previous posters.
Maybe instead of saying that reason turns into courage (λογική γίνεται θάρρος) you could say "όταν η λογική αποκτά θάρρος".

Search Tools