majority -> οἱ πλείονες, οἱ πολλοί

Ephestion

I am trying to develop a structural view of a system and need a Greek word for the system.

The word Majority in Greek is Pleiropsifia

But what I want to define is the phrase, "the majority of people leading the majority of people"

I need a word that sums up that phrase. As I understand the term Pleiropsifia means the majority vote. Other words like Democracy mean the People ruling themselves, while Ochlocracy seems to mean the crowd leading. None seem to embrace that phrase. So your help would be appreciated, even if it means inventing a word from Greek roots it would help considerably.

I was thinking Pleironarchia but would that define that phrase?
« Last Edit: 28 Jan, 2013, 15:24:22 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
The word Majority in Greek is Pleiropsifia
We think you mean πλειοψηφία, pleiopsifia, which is in fact the modern Greek word for "majority."
Curious that the ancients had no single word for "majority rule" (which we assume you're trying to get at) as such.  It may be that, no matter what the system of government, majority rule was a given for any ruling party, and didn't require a special name.  Their expression for "the majority" was simply οἱ πολλοί, hoi polloi, or οἱ πλείονες, hoi pleiones.
Yes, you might try concocting a noun based on archē and pleiones, i.e. pleionarchia, or, anglicized, "pleionarchy".

Ephestion

I found a word called Pleistarchia used by Agios Gregorios.

Pleistarchia, sound good to you? Or does it have another meaning?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
"Agios" (usually transliterated as hagios) means here "Saint," and in this case it's Saint Gregory of Nazianzus, who remarks in his autobiographical poem (De vita sua 1744), ἀναρχία γάρ ἐστιν ἡ πλεισταρχία ("the rule of the widest sway of opinion is the same as no rule at all).  He's complaining here about the mindless procedures of the majority of the synod, who are opposed to his opinions (see http://books.google.com/books?id=7jervOqijlwC&pg=PA356&lpg=PA356&dq=De+vita+sua+1744&source=bl&ots=BV_lJZ601C&sig=ufelBKulqbHBYfLfY86FA4KDKr8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4-MGUf_-GMjFigLt6YHgAg&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=De%20vita%20sua%201744&f=false, p. 356).  Gregory is the first and, as far as we know, the only writer to use the word πλεισταρχία.  He apparently derives it from the noun πλείσταρχος, meaning "one holding the widest sway."  So go ahead and use it, if you don't mind its extreme rarity.

Search Tools