Author Topic: one in the eye for -> σπάσιμο, σπαστικό, εκνευριστικό, χτύπημα, πλήγμα, πλήγμα στον εγωισμό, καλά να πάθει, του άξιζε, για να μάθει, τη σπάω, του δείχνω εγώ, σπάσιμο, τη βγαίνω  (Read 288 times)

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
    • spiros.doikas
    • greektranslator
    • doikas
    • lavagraph
    • Greek translator CV
one in the eye for -> σπάσιμο, σπαστικό, εκνευριστικό

one in the eye for

(idiomatic) An event or achievement which is unpleasant for someone, especially for those who considered it impossible or unwelcome; an annoyance.
The success of Firefox is one in the eye for Microsoft.
one in the eye for - Wiktionary
be one in the eye for sb Meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary
"one in the eye for" - Greek translation – Linguee
one in the eye for someone (phrase) definition and synonyms | Macmillan Dictionary
"one in the eye" - phrase meaning and origin
« Last Edit: 29 Apr, 2017, 14:18:27 by spiros »

Jonathan

If something that someone does is one in the eye for someone else, it will annoy that person because they did not want it to happen or did not think it could happen,viz. it means that something is a big disappointment or a defeat for a person but, additionally, you are pleased about their disappointment.
Examples:
-I got the job! That's one in the eye for John – I've never liked him and I was sure he would get the position. Ha!
-Our winning the championship was one in the eye for our rival team – they are always boasting about their skills.
-When I got my degree, I thought, 'That's one in the eye for my old head teacher, who said I would never get anywhere.
Is there a Greek equivalent expression? A colleague has suggested μπαίνω στο μάτι κάποιου. Are there others?
« Last Edit: 29 Apr, 2017, 14:09:38 by spiros »

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
    • spiros.doikas
    • greektranslator
    • doikas
    • lavagraph
    • Greek translator CV
του την έσπασες, του έδειξα εγώ, σπάσιμο, σπαστικό, εκνευριστικό, χτύπημα, πλήγμα, καλά να πάθει, του άξιζε, για να μάθει, τη σπάω, του δείχνω εγώ, σπάσιμο, τη βγαίνω

(See above, topic merged with older one)

μπαίνω στο μάτι is more like: covet, have one's eyes on, make sb jealous

If you have a specific context you want it translated, it would be good to mention it.
« Last Edit: 29 Apr, 2017, 14:34:39 by spiros »

Jonathan

The idiom means an event or achievement which is unpleasant for someone, especially for those who considered it impossible or unwelcome; an annoyance.
-The success of Firefox is one in the eye for Microsoft.
-His promotion was one in the eye for his rivals.
- "When I got my degree, I thought, 'That's one in the eye for my old head teacher, who said I would never get anywhere."