Author Topic: τῇ βασιλέως θυγατρὶ ἐδήλου ὁ ποιητὴς τὰ ποιήματα τὰ περὶ τῆς φύσεως γεγραμμένα.  (Read 922 times)

jmorsay

I think this means "The poet was showing the poem the  written about nature to the daughter of the king."

Please tell me my mistakes.

Thank you
« Last Edit: 01 Apr, 2009, 03:37:44 by billberg23 »

vmelas

τῇ  βασιλέως  θυγατρι ἐδήλου ὁ ποιητὴς  τὰ ποιήματα τά περὶ τῆς φύσεως  γεγραμμένα.

The poet was showing to the king's daughter poems about nature (literally "written about nature").

billberg23

• Words ail me.
J.M., you might wonder why the τὰ is repeated after ποιήματα.  It's because the perfect participle γεγραμμένα is being used as an adjective modifying ποιήματα, and any time you put the adjective after its noun, you need to repeat the article.  (Example:  ὁ ἀγαθὸς ἄνθρωπος = ὁ ἄνθρωπος ὁ ἀγαθος.)

The writer could have put the entire participial phrase before the noun, to look like this:  τὰ περὶ τῆς φύσεως  γεγραμμένα ποιήματα.  In that case, you don't have to repeat the article.  So (literally) "the poems the written about nature" = "the written-about-nature poems"!
Τί δέ τις; Τί δ' οὔ τις; Σκιᾶς ὄναρ ἄνθρωπος. — Πίνδαρος

jmorsay

Would "τὰ ποιήματα τά περὶ τῆς φύσεως  γεγραμμένα" would be "the poem the one written about nature."

Thank you for fixing my tranlation.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
J.M., ποιήματα is plural ("poems").  Singular "poem" would be ποίημα.  And you can translate into English without repeating English "the":  "the poems (that have been) written about nature."

jmorsay

I think this means "The poet showed the peom the one written concerning nature to the daughter of the king."

Is this right?

Thank you

billberg23

• Words ail me.
τὰ ποιήματα "the poems."  "The poem" would be τὸ ποίημα.  Review your third declension neuters.  Otherwise, you're doing great, JM!

P.S.  You might try to catch the sense of the imperfect ἐδήλου by translating "was showing," "kept showing," "used to show" — something that makes the progressive action (the "movie") of the verb clear.

Do you remember that we discussed the very same sentence just three weeks ago?
« Last Edit: 21 Apr, 2009, 15:34:41 by billberg23 »