Author Topic: ἀναζητῶν -> looking for, seeking  (Read 670 times)

Nona35

ἀναζητῶν -> looking for, seeking
« on: 18 Oct, 2015, 22:46:50 »
Hy again! If I may bother you asking about this verb "αναζητων", in this sentence please how to translate it " ... και Εκεἰνον αναζητων, αγἀπην επιλἐγεις του προσφἐρει...", and for "του" shouldn't be in capital letter since it refers to "Εκεἰνον (Κυριος) ?
Thank you very much, I am learning through your answers.
« Last Edit: 19 Oct, 2015, 14:24:56 by spiros »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Re: αναζητων?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct, 2015, 23:46:11 »
Ἀναζητῶν means "looking for" (masculine singular nominative participle).  But we're wondering if this Greek may be modern, not ancient.  Tου προσφἐρει, for example, means "offers/provides him" in modern Greek, but not in ancient Greek.   What work are you citing?  Can you give us a fuller context, copying all words exactly?
« Last Edit: 18 Oct, 2015, 23:49:55 by billberg23 »
Τί δέ τις; Τί δ' οὔ τις; Σκιᾶς ὄναρ ἄνθρωπος. — Πίνδαρος

Nona35

Re: αναζητων?
« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct, 2015, 08:31:10 »
Καλημἐρα σας.
I am still working on the Paraclesis I have previously asked about . The full sentence is :" Ρηνἀτων Κυρἰου κατατρυφων, παιδιὀθεν Πἀτερ,και Εκεἰνον αναζητων αγἀπην επιλἐγεις του προσφἐρει..."
Thank you again.
« Last Edit: 19 Oct, 2015, 12:44:04 by spiros »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Re: Ἀναζητῶν -> looking for, seeking
« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct, 2015, 12:37:52 »
And can you please tell us a few words that come after προσφἐρει?

Nona35

Re: Ἀναζητῶν -> looking for, seeking
« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct, 2015, 13:40:50 »
The rest is :''...εις τἠν εικὀνα Θεου τον πανἀνθρωπον."

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Re: ἀναζητῶν -> looking for, seeking
« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct, 2015, 19:15:38 »
So this is the exact version of the full sentence: Ρηνἀτων Κυρἰου κατατρυφων, παιδιὀθεν Πἀτερ,και Εκεἰνον αναζητων αγἀπην επιλἐγεις του προσφἐρει εις τἠν εικὀνα Θεου τον πανἀνθρωπον?  It's a tough one!  I'd be grateful if you, or anyone else here on the Forum, can come up with a close translation into English.  Good luck to you, Nona!
P.S.  We hate to interfere with an authentic text, but it looks like Ρηνἀτων needs to be emended to ῥημάτων, so that the first phrase means "rejoicing from childhood in the words of the Lord, Father."  Other slight emendations may be necessary to make the text intelligible.
« Last Edit: 19 Oct, 2015, 19:42:03 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct, 2015, 21:40:22 »
Here's my suggestion for an emended text and translation of your problem passage, Nona:

Ῥημάτων Κυρίου κατατρυφῶν παιδιόθεν, Πάτερ, καὶ Ἐκεῖνον ἀναζητῶν, ἀγάπην ἐπιλέγεις Θεοῦ•  προσφέρεις τὴν εἰκόνα Θεοῦ τὸν πανάνθρωπον.   

Rejoicing from childhood in the words of the Lord, Father, and seeking Him, you choose love of God.  You represent the fully/ideal human as the image of God.

I'm thinking that the του of your text, which you've already marked as problematic, stems from a misreading of a ligature for Θεοῦ in a manuscript or early printing.

Any suggestions for improvement?
« Last Edit: 22 Nov, 2015, 20:27:26 by billberg23 »

Nona35

« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct, 2015, 22:58:59 »
Thank you very much, I think there's nothing better, but if I may ask you put "Θεοὐ" instead of "του", because this "του" cannot refer to the same word?true?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct, 2015, 23:45:42 »
I put "Θεοῦ" instead of "του" because the definite article "του," which simply means "of the," has no semantic or grammatical connection with the rest of the sentence.  I suggest that it was a misreading of the ligature for "Θεοῦ," which might have looked something like this: θȣ, surmounted by a wavy line.  Αlso, without "Θεοῦ" as its object, the word "love" (ἀγάπην) simply hangs in the air.  "Love" of what?  "Θεοῦ" answers that question.
« Last Edit: 20 Oct, 2015, 07:43:02 by billberg23 »

Nona35

« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct, 2015, 23:39:24 »
Thank you again and good night!