Ῥῦσέ με δεινῶν νοσημάτων, ἱερώτατε, ἱερωσύνην συναρμόσας ἐν χαρᾷ και ἐπιστήμης τὸ πολύτιμον κεφάλαιον → Deliver me from grievous afflictions, most holy one, joining sanctity together in joy with the precious fountainhead of knowledge

Nona35 · 10 · 964

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour

billberg23

• Words ail me.
"The most valuable chapter" (?).  At first sight, it has nothing to do with "Godhead."  Please give source and context.
« Last Edit: 02 Dec, 2015, 17:54:18 by billberg23 »

Nona35

This is the whole paragraph :
"Ρύσε με δεινων, νοσηματων ιερώτατε, ιερωσύνην συναρμόσας εν χαρά, και επιστήμης το πολύτιμον κεφάλαιον"

billberg23

• Words ail me.
This is what I can make of it so far:  "Deliver me from grievous afflictions, most holy one, joining sanctity together in joy with the precious fountainhead of knowledge."  Is this a continuation of the same Orthodox paraklesis you were working on a couple of months ago?
« Last Edit: 02 Dec, 2015, 21:54:33 by billberg23 »

Nona35

yes, walking like a turtle Eh?! :)
In fact, I am studying Ancient Greek along with translating, maybe you find it inappropriate, but I am trying to improve my knowledge, do you have any advice for me?
« Last Edit: 02 Dec, 2015, 22:08:14 by Nona35 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.

Nona35

Thank you very much, in fact I had questions but I felt ashamed, for this reason I stopped for a while hoping that you will forget me:) no I am kidding.
Sorry but this "fountainhead" isn't somehow weird?
« Last Edit: 02 Dec, 2015, 22:34:07 by Nona35 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Sorry but this "fountainhead" isn't somehow weird?
Yes, it is weird, and the expression ἐπιστήμης τὸ κεφάλαιον seems to occur nowhere else in Greek literature.  I'm thinking "head of knowledge" could refer to a primary source, like the headwaters of a river.  Of course, it might also refer to a chief or main principle of knowledge, whatever that might mean.  Perhaps something like Proverbs 1:7, 9:10, and Psalm 111:10 ("The beginning of wisdom is fear of the Lord").  But there's no direct indication that it refers to God.
Perhaps someone out there has a better suggestion?
« Last Edit: 05 Dec, 2015, 00:21:33 by billberg23 »

Search Tools