Author Topic: ὦ εὔδαιμον Σώκρατες, τὴν ἀρετῆς φύσιν τοῖς φίλοις δηλοῖς; ἐάν γὰρ τὴν ἀρετὴν εὖ δηλοῖς, οὔτοι ἀδικήσουσιν, ἀλλ' εἰ μὴ τοῦτ' εὖ δηλοῖς, κακὰ ἂν πράττοιεν. καλῶς δὴ ποιεῖς ἃπαντα τὰ ἀγαθὰ δηλῶν.  (Read 727 times)

jmorsay

I think this means "Weathy Sokrates, are you showing the nature of excellence to the friends? For if you do show the excellence well then they do not wrong, but if you do not show this well then they will do bad things. You are doing quite all good things of clearness beutilfuly of course."

Is this right

Thank you
« Last Edit: 21 Mar, 2019, 17:02:22 by spiros »

vbd.

Hey, that was a good try; almost perfect save the last sentence. Now...

εὔδαιμον = fortunate
It could mean wealthy as well, but usually it means that when referring to a city. Either way, Socrates wasn't rich, and even based solely on this sentence, there's no reason why we should translate "wealthy"; there's no reference to money.

οὔτοι ἀδιϰήσουσιν = they won't do wrong

κακά ἄν πράττοιεν = they might do bad things
What you translated is "κακά πράξουσι".

καλῶς ποιεῖς = you're right in..., you're right to be..., you're doing the right thing in...

So what's left for you to translate is δηλῶν ἅπαντα τά ἀγαθά. Give this last sentence another try.

I'd translate "ἐάν γὰρ τὴν ἀρετὴν εὖ δηλοῖς" as: "If you explain to them excellence properly". But your translation was accurate enough, I think.
« Last Edit: 22 May, 2009, 03:11:59 by vbd. »
At last, I have peace.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
JM, δηλῶν is just the present active participle, masculine singular nominative, of δηλόω, "show,"  which you've translated correctly twice already in its second person form δηλοῖς.  So "you are doing the right thing by showing all the good things."
Τί δέ τις; Τί δ' οὔ τις; Σκιᾶς ὄναρ ἄνθρωπος. — Πίνδαρος