Author Topic: What is sweeter than to have someone with whom you dare to talk about everything just as you'd talk to yourself? (Cicero, De amicitia 22) -> τί γλυκύτερον ἢ ἔχειν ὅτῳ περὶ πάντων τολμᾶς οὕτως διαλέγεσθαι ὥσπερ σεαυτῷ;  (Read 161 times)

billberg23

• Words ail me.
What is sweeter than to have someone with whom you dare to talk about everything just as you'd talk to yourself? (Cicero, De amicitia 22) -> τί γλυκύτερον ἢ ἔχειν ὅτῳ περὶ πάντων τολμᾶς οὕτως διαλέγεσθαι ὥσπερ σεαυτῷ;

https://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php?topic=465215.msg711114#msg711114
« Last Edit: 26 Oct, 2017, 03:07:48 by billberg23 »
Τί δέ τις; Τί δ' οὔ τις; Σκιᾶς ὄναρ ἄνθρωπος. — Πίνδαρος

Discipulus

I don't like your adding the word φίλον which is obviously missing from the original intentionally.

So could we use this phrase from Symposion 194d: "ἐὰν μόνον ἔχῃ ὅτῳ διαλέγηται" to get:

τί γλυκύτερον ἢ ἔχειν ὅτῳ περὶ πάντων τολμᾶς οὕτως διαλέγεσθαι ὥσπερ σεαυτῷ;

?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I wouldn't say it's missing "intentionally";  I'd say it's missing because in this dialogue on friendship, it isn't necessary to repeat the word for "friend."  Obviously the sentence, in its context, refers to friendship, and quicum refers to a friend.  If you take the sentence out of its context and do it in Greek, you need some sort of referent for ᾧ with ἔχειν.  And you've found it (at least an indefinite referent) with ὅτῳ (= ᾧ τινι, i.e. τινα ᾧ).  Good work!     
« Last Edit: 30 Oct, 2017, 18:15:46 by billberg23 »