Τι κρίμα που δεν άγγιξα της τρέλλας σου τ'αγρίμι...

Angela6386

• Semi-Newbie
A piece from a Greek - Cretan song I have been trying to translate. And no, there is no English word for "αγρίμι" at least not in the context we use it here. I have found words like "beast" but it's not what the poet wants to say. I ended up making it:

Όμως τι κρίμα που δε μάγεψα κι εσένα
τι κρίμα που δεν άγγιξα της τρέλλας σου τ' αγρίμι
κι έγινε η αγάπη, η αγάπη ένα συντρίμι
σημάδι που χαράκτηκε στη πιο βαθιά μου μνήμη.

But what a pity that I never charmed you as well
what a pity, I never touched the wildness of your madness
and love, love became a ruin
a mark engraved on my deepest memory.

I am quite happy with that but I wanted to know if there is a better way to do it.

Thanks!
~A~
« Last Edit: 31 Jul, 2006, 22:00:11 by spiros »

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou

banned8

Ως αρμόδιος στο θέμα των αγριμιών (από την κρητική μου πλευρά), να προσθέσω ότι το αγρίμι είναι στην Κρήτη το αποκαλούμενο και κρι-κρι. Cretan wild goat στα αγγλικά ή Capra aegagrus cretensis επισήμως.

Από την κριτική μου πλευρά τώρα, μήπως θα ήταν καλύτερα να μεταφράσουμε ερμηνευτικά εκείνο το "τι κρίμα που δεν άγγιξα της τρέλας σου τ' αγρίμι"; Π.χ. What a pity I never tamed the wild animal in you.

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Νίκο, δεν μου αρέσει αυτό που λες - χάνεται όλο το νόημα του στίχου. Δεν είναι ο ίδιος/η ίδια αγρίμι... για το «αγρίμι της τρέλας» μιλάει ο στιχουργός.

banned8

χάνεται όλο το νόημα του στίχου

Ίσως φταίει που για μένα δεν έχει νόημα ο στίχος "I never touched the wildness of your madness".

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Γιατί, έχει νόημα «το αγρίμι της τρέλας σου»;

Αλλά δεν μπορείς να το κάνεις «το αγρίμι που κρύβεις/έχεις μέσα σου» έτσι, στα καλά καθούμενα.:-))))

banned8

Δηλαδή το "άγγιξα" που το έκανα "δάμασα" δεν σε πείραξε;

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Ομολογώ ότι δεν με πείραξε καθόλου, γιατί αγρίμι είναι αυτό και δαμάζουμε (άμα θέμε κι άμα θέλει).:-))))))))))))))))))))

Angela6386

• Semi-Newbie
Αγαπητέ Νίκο, ο όρος ΚΡΙ-ΚΡΙ χρησiμοποιείται μόνο για το συγκεκριμένο είδος αγριοκάτσικου που δυστυχώς τώρα πια ζει σε λιγοστές βουνοκορφές και μικρά ξερονήσια γύρω από το νησί της Κρήτης. Ωστόσο, η Κρήτη διαθέτει μεγάλη ποικιλία σε αγρίμια. :))))

I think "αγρίμι" is more than "wild animal - άγριο ζώο" as it's a term used to describe rather a "soul state - freedom - mentality" thing than the aggressiveness and existance out of civilized world. Not only in this song but in every day life as well, when "αγρίμι" is used it comes with a dose of respect and wonderment. Cretans also use it for people at times.

The poem is referring to the untouched - free - at times "twisted" of the soul, as everyone's soul is, in their own unique way. That is why I stayed away from "wild animal". And madness is not the right word either but I couldn't find one to fit better there. Now, to touch and tame are two different things or so it seems to me. Touching when it comes to "αγρίμια" is an imposible task while taming and rule you can do easily by capturing. Of course once you do that they die but thats a different story... :)

I have found that translating Greek poems and songs can be a pain as most of the times, one thing is said and another is meant. Should I try to give the exact meaning of the poem/song , I need a paragraph next to each verse to explain, or it simply makes no sense in English... So, what I did here (as this is for a friend) I gave it the best possible translation I could as it comes to me when I read it. And since there is no English word to give the meaning of "αγρίμι" I changed it a little for the sake of comprehending.

Thanks again :))

~A~

banned8

Sorry, I didn't for a moment wish to restrict the meaning of αγρίμι to the Cretan wild goat. It is the other way round, and I suppose the Cretans would have used αγρίμι for any wild animal before they specifically attached the name to the kri-kri. I just wanted to make a passing reference to that.

I quite agree about the problem of translating poetry (not just Greek poems, though) when the original is nigh incomprehensible and the word-for-word translation gives unlikely combinations in the target language. My point here was less of interpretation (though that's how I understood the line on first reading) and more of disagreement with the result (esp. 'wildness of your madness'). I do believe we should try to interpret "άγγιξα", which might then lead us to an acceptable collocation for "της τρέλας σου το αγρίμι".  It is a beautiful line in Greek, don't you agree? One should aim for an equally beautiful line in English. Anyway, I believe that your interpretation is in favour of something like "I never even managed to lay a hand on the wild animal that your madness is" (correct me if I'm wrong). Tough, indeed, to squeeze that into four-five words.

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Νίκο, εγώ πάλι καταλαβαίνω το στίχο ακριβώς όπως κι η Άντζελα.

«Δεν άγγιξα» μπορεί να σημαίνει πολλά πράγματα, π.χ. δεν κατάφερα/δεν μ' άφησες να πλησιάσω, δεν κατάλαβα, κατάλαβα αλλά δεν μπόρεσα να εμβαθύνω, δεν ήρθα σ' επαφή γιατί δεν μ' άφησες κ.ά.

Το touch αποδίδει πλήρως το νόημα. Αφού η τρέλα είναι αγρίμι, μπορεί να μην μπόρεσε ποτέ καν να την πλησιάσει, άρα πώς θα τη δάμαζε;

Και, ναι, η τρέλα είναι αγρίμι εδώ. Κι αν ο στιχουργός ήθελε να πει «δάμασα», θα μπορούσε κάλλιστα να το κάνει χωρίς να πειράξει τις υπόλοιπες λέξεις. Μια χαρά κολλούσε μέσα στο στίχο αντί του «άγγιξα» (και τα δύο είναι τρισύλλαβα).

Τώρα, αν εσύ κάνεις μαντεψιά ότι ήθελε να πει «δάμασα» αλλά του ξέφυγε ή έκανε λάθος, να με συμπαθάς αλλά δεν θα κάνουμε editing και στους λαϊκούς στίχους πλέον κατά το δικό μας δοκούν. Η ομορφιά είναι που λέει «άγγιξα».
« Last Edit: 31 Jul, 2006, 17:36:48 by wings »

Angela6386

• Semi-Newbie
"I quite agree about the problem of translating poetry (not just Greek poems, though) when the original is nigh incomprehensible and the word-for-word translation gives unlikely combinations in the target language. My point here was less of interpretation (though that's how I understood the line on first reading) and more of disagreement with the result (esp. 'wildness of your madness')."

You are right, there. I guess it all comes down to how each one understands it and that is the beauty with poetry.... how the very same words can mean different things to different people.And I was referring to translating Greek poetry cause thats all I have experience with...

I do believe we should try to interpret "άγγιξα", which might then lead us to an acceptable collocation for "της τρέλας σου το αγρίμι".  It is a beautiful line in Greek, don't you agree? One should aim for an equally beautiful line in English. Anyway, I believe that your interpretation is in favour of something like "I never even managed to lay a hand on the wild animal that your madness is" (correct me if I'm wrong). Tough, indeed, to squeeze that into four-five words."

If I tried to interpret the poem I would probably end up with a new poem as I am sure you would too. My intention was to try and answer the "what does that say" question of someone who happened to like the music and asked for the lyrics. Your edition of it is very good indeed and thanks for taking the time to help me with it. :)))

Now, why don't I just paste the whole song for you to read and enjoy? (Lord, I don't even want to think what is coming when I start with "Το Πεπρωμένο" hehehe!)

:))))) enjoy!

Τα άγρια πουλιά τα ημερεύω
όλο για σένα τους μιλώ και τα μαγεύω
Τα άγρια πουλιά τα ημερεύω
με τα σπασμένα μου φτερά τα συντροφεύω.

Τα άγρια πουλιά ρωτούν τη νύχτα
με πιο τραγούδι να ξορκίζεται η πίκρα
Τα άγρια πουλιά στο πέταγμά τους
αναστενάζουν μεσ' απ' το κελάηδημά τους...

~Α~
« Last Edit: 31 Jul, 2006, 18:17:44 by wings »

marian m

Here is another possibility that matches the style of the original:

"what a pity that I never touched your wild insanity"

BTW:  The lyrics are beautiful!

NadiaF

• ناديا فامي
  • Γιατί να το κρύψω; Ναι, είμαι μία φελάχα!
What about:

I was never touched your wild passion (or your passionate wildness)??

Or "untamed passion / wildness"

Just some brainstorming...
« Last Edit: 31 Jul, 2006, 19:18:40 by NadiaF »
Μην κοιμάσαι, είναι επικίνδυνο. Μην ξυπνήσεις, θα το μετανοιώσεις!
Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou

Search Tools