Author Topic: The Power of Words in Ancient Greek and Roman Magic -> Περὶ τῆς δυνάμεως τῶν λόγων τῶν ἐν τῇ μαγευτικῇ τῶν ἀρχαίων Ἑλλήνων τε καὶ Ῥωμαίων χρησθέντων  (Read 876 times)

ambercoates

• Semi-Newbie
Hi there
This is the general idea for the title of a religious studies essay I am writing and I'd like to use an ancient greek translation for it.  Actually, I've come across the term dynamis which apparently is the ancient greek word for power in this context.  I'm having trouble understanding how a word can be ancient greek yet be written in english alphabet.  How would the phrase in the subject line also be written in that context?

Thanks in advance for your expertise!  (And patience with my complete ignorance!)
Amber in New Zealand :)
« Last Edit: 26 Aug, 2010, 19:16:22 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
"The Power of Words in Ancient Greek and Roman Magic" as an ancient title would be

Περὶ τῆς δυνάμεως τῶν λόγων τῶν ἐν τῇ μαγευτικῇ τῶν ἀρχαίων Ἑλλήνων τε καὶ Ῥωμαίων χρησθέντων  

— literally, "On the power of words used in the magic of the ancient Greeks and Romans."

Transliterated with Roman letters, it would be

Peri tês dynameôs tôn logôn tôn en têi mageutikêi tôn archaiôn Hellênôn te kai Rômaiôn chrêsthentôn
« Last Edit: 26 Aug, 2010, 19:15:51 by billberg23 »
Τί δέ τις; Τί δ' οὔ τις; Σκιᾶς ὄναρ ἄνθρωπος. — Πίνδαρος