King James Version of the Bible -> η επί βασιλέως Ιακώβου αγγλική μετάφραση της Βίβλου

KaterinaV

Πηγή: http://dict.die.net/king%20james%20bible/
King James Bible
     n : an English translation of the Bible published in 1611 [syn:
         Authorized Version, King James Version, King James
         Bible]

Ξέρετε αν υπάρχει επίσημη μετάφραση στα ελληνικά;
« Last Edit: 07 Nov, 2006, 22:40:00 by nickel »
Strawberries cherries and an angel´s kiss in spring, my summer wine is really made from all these things...

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Δεν πολυκαταλαβαίνω τι εννοείς με το «επίσημη μετάφραση στα ελληνικά».

Η πηγή που μας δίνεις είναι ήδη η αγγλική μετάφραση της Βίβλου από τα ελληνικά. Εννοείς ότι θα έπρεπε να υπάρχει επίσημη μετάφραση της αγγλικής μετάφρασης από τα ελληνικά ξανά πίσω προς ελληνικά;:-)

KaterinaV

Δε διατύπωσα σωστά την ερώτηση...ήθελα να μάθω αν λέμε π.χ. "Η Βίβλος κατά Βασιλιά Τζέιμς" ή "Επίσημη Μετάφραση της Βίβλου από τον Βασιλιά Τζέιμς" ή κάτι σχετικό.
Strawberries cherries and an angel´s kiss in spring, my summer wine is really made from all these things...

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Μετάφραση Βασιλέως Ιακώβου τη λέει η Βικιπαίδεια και ορισμένοι άλλοι.

Για να είμαι ειλικρινής, πάντα τη συναντούσα ως KJV και δεν έχω δει ποτέ αυτή την ελληνική μετάφραση παρά μόνο τώρα που το κοίταξα λόγω της ερώτησής σου.

KaterinaV

Μάλλον κάτι δεν κάνω καλά στο γκουκλοψαχτήρι....τι να πω; Είχα και αμφιβολία αν το James αντιστοιχούσε στον Ιάκωβο, και αν ναι, γιατί δεν τον έλεγαν Jacob, να ξεμπερδεύουμε;;;;

Σ' ευχαριστώ που με ξεμπέρδεψες, για ακόμη μια φορά και συγγνώμη που σε μπέρδεψα την πρώτη φορά :-)

Κατερίνα

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Tώρα, αν σου πω ότι έχω καταλάβει γιατί ο James κατάντησε Ιάκωβος, θα είναι μεγάλο ψέμα.:-) Είναι το ίδιο ακριβώς που εξήγησε πριν από λίγο σε ένα άλλο νήμα η Αλεξάνδρα για τις «μεταφράσεις» των ονομάτων.

Καλή συνέχεια!
« Last Edit: 07 Nov, 2006, 13:05:01 by alexandra_k »

rnylk

Το James τουλάχιστον το κάναμε Ιάκωβος γιατί προέρχεται από το Jacomus (ύστερη Λατινική) --> Ιάκωβος. Ε, τότε είχαμε τη συνήθεια να τα εξελληνίζουμε όλα τι να κάνουμε; :)
I think perhaps the most important problem is that we are trying to understand the fundamental workings of the universe via a language devised for telling one another when the best fruit is.
Terry Prachett

Philip

• μεγαλώνουν, μεγαλώνουν ...

masc. proper name, name of O.T. patriarch, son of Isaac and Rebecca and father of the founders of the twelve tribes, from L.L. Jacobus, from Gk. Iakobos, from Heb. Ya'aqobh, lit. "one that takes by the heel" (Gen. xxviii.12), a derivative of 'aqebh "heel."  (Online etymology dictionary)

The form Jacomus was apparently a late Latin alternative. (cf Italian Giacomo)

btw, how do I hide web addresses behind an underlined word like "here"?
« Last Edit: 07 Nov, 2006, 13:27:13 by nickel »
But how shall men meditate in that, which they cannot understand? How shall they understand that which is kept close in an unknown tongue?

THE TRANSLATORS TO THE READER
Preface to the King James Version 1611

banned8

btw, how do I hide web addresses behind an underlined word like "here"?

Hi, Philip. Press 'Modify' to see what I've done to your message. How I added "url" within square brackets at both ends of the item to be linked (I managed the feat by pressing the globe icon, third one on the bottom row) and then added the equal sign and the web address next to the first "url".

Now, re Jacob and James, we should add the little known fact that Iago is a Spanish form of James (hence Santiago). I myself would like to discover what in Tyndale's translation or the versions before it made the translators of the Authorized Version keep Jacob for Isaac's son in the Old Testament, but have the two disciples called James in the New Testament. Was that the result of the two Testaments being translated separately at some stage?

marian m

In English, it is not called the King James Translation. It is either a "Bible" or a "version." In Greek, could we possibly say

"Η Βίβλος του Βασιλέως Τζέϊμς"

"H Βιβληκή´Εκδoση Βασιλέως Τζέϊμς (KJV)"

"H Εξουσιοδιοτημένη (?)´Εκδoση της Βίβλου (AV)"

btw: I prefer adding the English acronyms. Also, I prefer a literal translation for personal names.

banned8

The term King James Version (KJV) is more commonly used in the USA, whilst the term Authorized Version (AV) is more commonly used in the UK, although both terms are generally understood to mean the same thing. [Wikipedia]

Συμφωνώ ότι, για συντομία, «η Βίβλος του βασιλιά Ιάκωβου» μάς καλύπτει. Η AV θα ήταν η «Εγκεκριμένη Έκδοση», αλλά δεν θα το πρότεινα.

Έχω μικρό πρόβλημα με τη διατύπωση «μετάφραση από ή κατά», επειδή φαίνεται σαν να την έκανε ο ίδιος, οπότε προτείνω σαν φλύαρη απόδοση το λόγιο «η επί βασιλέως Ιακώβου αγγλική μετάφραση της Βίβλου».

Δεν συμφωνώ με το «Τζέιμς» γιατί δεν είναι θέμα προτίμησης όταν πρόκειται για κάποια καθιερωμένα. Θα γίνει ανάστα ο Θεός αν αρχίσουμε τέτοιες αλλαγές.

Philip

• μεγαλώνουν, μεγαλώνουν ...
Hi Nickel and all,

I have gone back as far as Wycliffe's Bible, which predates Tyndale's by 150 years or so, and was the first complete translation into post-1066 English.  Wycliffe translated from the Latin, & so looked to Jerome, I guess, for the forms of names.  I do not have my Vulgate translation to hand, so cannot check the Latin.

Tyndale translated from the Greek rather than the Latin.  "James" never appears as a name in an old testament context.  "Jacob" appears in the new testament only in reference to the OT person.  The KJV uses bits of both, tradition at that time being as important as it is now, and a good wording not to be lightly cast aside...

For more confusion, there are churches in England named St Jacob's as well as St James, but I have not been able to find out so far who they commemorate. 
Jago (pron τζέιγκοου in English and γιάγκο in Cornish) is the Cornish form of the name, and is a surname.

References can be supplied when I have had a go at doing the links properly.  This just in haste.  Sorry for all the αγγλικά.  Θανκς του γιου & αλεκς φορ δι χελπφουλ γκάιντ του ντουινγκ θιγγζ πρόπερλυ ;-)
But how shall men meditate in that, which they cannot understand? How shall they understand that which is kept close in an unknown tongue?

THE TRANSLATORS TO THE READER
Preface to the King James Version 1611

banned8

Search Tools