How to create new scientific terms from Ancient Greek?

IreneAdler1891

Opps I meant to say it was written out as the attachment feature wouldn't work for some reason. Hmm... I don't think I need a noun form of it as I am intending to put a noun in front of the final combination of words so it would be of the noun+ verb format that I seem to see so much in scientific terms. Is the verb okay when transliterating it into English. So is it correct to have the noun+ verb format. I wish I was closer to a university library, I miss my UW card. I had access to so many books that might have helped me understand this quandary better.

billberg23

• Words ail me.

IreneAdler1891

In scientific terms you always see those words like φῶς, "light", and σύνθεσις, synthesis, "putting together".  This seems like to my mind Light=Noun and Putting together= verb. Hence my hypothesis about Noun + Verb being pretty standard in the Scientific world. Not sure where this comes from but almost every term of Ancient Greek origin seems to follow this path.

Photograph is another, light + drawing follows this pattern.   A third that springs to my mind is  Pathognomonic  from the Greek πάθος + γνώμων.

« Last Edit: 10 Mar, 2019, 03:47:49 by IreneAdler1891 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
"Putting" is a noun.  So is synthesis.  So is diathesis.  So is hypothesis.  So are σύνθεσις, γραφή, γνώμων.  Don't be misled because these nouns, like most nouns in any language, are formed from verbs (e.g. "put").  Check this out: https://www.ecenglish.com/learnenglish/lessons/verbs-adjectives-nouns-beginnerselementary 

IreneAdler1891

I am confused.... So if noun+verb is not the correct way to form new terms what is? I have read lots of documents on this but none seem to have here are the rules for how one structures a new term. Because we need to adhere to x,y,z, format or here are some general rules about stem + ending.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar, 2019, 19:42:16 by IreneAdler1891 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Noun + noun united as a single noun.  Bring us the two words you want to use, and we'll do our best to show you how to combine them as a single Greek word. If you don't want to reveal your words openly, you can communicate with a personal message (see third icon to the left here).
« Last Edit: 10 Mar, 2019, 21:12:42 by billberg23 »

IreneAdler1891

Ohhh noun + noun to make a new noun.... wow! That is cool, two nouns to form a new one. Ancient Greek just got cooler, though I worry I would survive in a highly inflected and huge vocabulary...

Search Tools