First day of the week or First of the [seven] Sabbaths? (New Testament)

Ripple · 46 · 24891

Ripple

• Semi-Newbie
The phrase "first day of the week" is used 8 times in the new testament.  In Young's Literal Translation it is recorded as "first of the sabbaths".  Not knowing Greek or Ancient Greek, I'm interested in opinions on how this has been translated from the original.
« Last Edit: 15 Apr, 2009, 03:02:39 by billberg23 »

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
In Matthew 28.1, for example, it is mentioned as "μία σαββάτων".
« Last Edit: 25 Dec, 2006, 02:02:55 by wings »
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

Ripple

• Semi-Newbie
Mark 16:2,9 Luke 24:1 and John 20:1,19 also use this phrase.  Are they translated into the same "first of the sabbaths"?

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Yes, the phrase is exactly the same in all of them, which means that the English translation is accurate and using the same phrasing as the Ancient Greek original.
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

Ripple

• Semi-Newbie
 Any ideas why the King James and other translations use the phrase "first day of the week"?  Thank you for your help Vicky.
« Last Edit: 25 Dec, 2006, 00:17:42 by Ripple »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
The word σάββατον, when it meant "week," was often pluralized, though Paul, for example, uses it in the singular: κατά  μίαν σαββάτου, Corinthians 16.2.  The μία  is always short for μία ἡμέρα ("day one"), so τῇ μιᾷ (ἡμέρᾳ) τῶν σαββάτων means "on the first (day) of the week."  Indeed, "the first day of the Sabbath(s) (=week)" is what we call Sunday.  Bear in mind, too, that the biblical day begins and ends at sunset, so 6 PM Saturday might already be Sunday. :-)
« Last Edit: 25 Dec, 2006, 00:22:47 by billberg23 »

Πρωτέαs

• Χορέψετε, χορέψετε, παπούτσια μη λυπάστε!
Ο Χριστός αναστήθηκε τις πρωινές ώρες της Κυριακής. Δεν γνωρίζουμε τον πραγματικό χρόνο της Αναστάσεώς Του, αφού κανείς δεν τον είδε την ώρα εκείνη, αλλά πιστοποιήθηκε όταν βαθειά χαράματα οι Μυροφόρες γυναίκες πήγαν στο μνημείο για να αλείψουν το σώμα του Χριστού με αρώματα. Έτσι, η Κυριακή, η πρώτη ημέρα της εβδομάδος, είναι η ημέρα της Αναστάσεως του Χριστού. Εάν ο Χριστός το Σάββατο νίκησε το κράτος του θανάτου, την Κυριακή πιστοποιήθηκε σε όλους η Ανάστασή Του, ότι Αυτός είναι ο νικητής του θανάτου και του διαβόλου.

Η ημέρα της Κυριακής στον λεγόμενο εβδομαδικό χρόνο είναι η πρώτη ημέρα από την οποία αριθμείται η εβδομάδα, αλλά και η ογδόη, επειδή βρίσκεται μετά το τέλος της εβδόμης ημέρας, δηλαδή μετά το Σάββατο. Στην Παλαιά Διαθήκη θεωρείται σημαντική ημέρα, αφ’ ενός μεν γιατί είναι η πρώτη ημέρα της δημιουργίας του κόσμου, κατά την οποία έγινε το φως, αφ’ ετέρου δε γιατί και αυτή θεωρείται αγία κατά την εντολή: "επτά ημέρας προσάξατε ολοκαυτώματα τω Κυρίω, και η ημέρα η ογδόη κλητή αγία έσται υμίν, και προσάξατε ολοκαυτώματα τω Κυρίω. (Λευιτ. κγ', 36).

Ο Μωυσής την πρώτη ημέρα δεν την αποκαλεί πρώτη, αλλά μία. Και, ερμηνεύοντας ο Μ. Βασίλειος, λέγει ότι την αγία Κυριακή, κατά την οποία αναστήθηκε ο Χριστός, την ονομάζει μία ημέρα για να οδηγήσει την έννοιά μας προς την μέλλουσα αιώνια ζωή. Τώρα η Κυριακή είναι τύπος του μέλλοντος αιώνος, τότε όμως θα είναι αυτός ο ίδιος ο όγδοος αιών. Αν σκεφθεί κανείς ότι ο εβδομαδιαίος κύκλος συμβολίζει όλο τον χρόνο της ζωής των ανθρώπων και η Κυριακή είναι τύπος του μέλλοντος ογδόου αιώνος, τότε είναι η μία και μοναδική ημέρα. Ο Μ. Βασίλειος αποκαλεί την Κυριακή "απαρχήν των ημερών", "ομήλικα του φωτός".

Κατά τον άγιο Γρηγόριο τον Παλαμά, η Κυριακή ονομάζεται ογδόη ημέρα γιατί κατά την ημέρα αυτήν έγινε η Ανάσταση του Χριστού, που είναι η ογδόη ανάσταση στην ιστορία. Τρεις αναστάσεις νεκρών έγιναν στην Παλαιά Διαθήκη (μία από τον Προφήτη Ηλία και δύο από τον Ελισσαίο), και τέσσερις αναστάσεις νεκρών έγιναν στην Καινή Διαθήκη από τον Χριστό (της θυγατρός του Ιαείρου, του υιού της χήρας της Ναΐν, του Λαζάρου, και των νεκρών κατά την Μ. Παρασκευή). Οπότε η μεγαλύτερη, η ογδόη ανάσταση, είναι η Ανάσταση του Χριστού. Ουσιαστικά, όμως, δεν είναι μόνον η ογδόη ανάσταση, αλλά και η πρώτη σχετικά με την ελπιζομένη ανάσταση όλων των νεκρών.

Την Κυριακή, την πρώτη ημέρα της δημιουργίας, έγινε το φως. Την Κυριακή, την πρώτη ημέρα της αναδημιουργίας, φάνηκε το φως της Αναστάσεως, που είναι το ίδιο το Φως της Μεταμορφώσεως και της Πεντηκοστής. Η ανθρώπινη φύση του Χριστού απέβαλε την θνητότητα και φθαρτότητα, όπως θα δούμε πιο κάτω.

Η Κυριακή, ακόμη, λέγεται αγία και κλητή ημέρα, γιατί όλα τα Δεσποτικά μεγάλα γεγονότα έγιναν κατ’ αυτήν. Λέγεται από τους Πατέρας ότι ο Ευαγγελισμός της Θεοτόκου, η Γέννηση του Χριστού και η Ανάσταση, τα βασικά μεγάλα Δεσποτικά γεγονότα έγιναν την ημέρα της Κυριακής. Αλλά και η Δευτέρα Παρουσία του Χριστού και βεβαίως, η ανάσταση των νεκρών πρόκειται αυτήν την ημέρα να συμβεί (όσιος Πέτρος Δαμασκηνός). Γι’ αυτό και οι Χριστιανοί δίνουν μεγάλη σημασία και βαρύτητα σε αυτήν και επιδιώκουν να την αγιάζουν, γιατί η αιφνιδιαστική έλευση του Χριστού θα γίνει τότε.

Για όλους αυτούς τους λόγους ο άγιος Ιωάννης ο Δαμασκηνός πανηγυρίζει στην εορτή του Πάσχα: "Αύτη η κλητή και αγία ημέρα, η μία των Σαββάτων η βασιλίς και Κυρία, εορτών εορτή και πανήγυρις εστί πανηγύρεων, εν ή ευλογούμεν Χριστόν εις τους αιώνας".

Είναι συγκινητικό να σκεφθεί κανείς ότι η Εκκλησία κάθε Κυριακή με τα θαυμάσια τροπάριά της εορτάζει την Ανάσταση του Χριστού. Έτσι, στο ετήσιο Πάσχα υπάρχει και το εβδομαδιαίο Πάσχα, το μικρό λεγόμενο Πάσχα, η φωτοφόρος ημέρα της Κυριακής.

http://www.vic.com/~tscon/pelagia/htm/b26.e.i_despotikes_eortes.10.htm
http://kodiaks.blogspot.com/2006_09_24_kodiaks_archive.html
« Last Edit: 25 Dec, 2006, 00:28:46 by Πρωτέαs »
Το ότι κάποιοι ζουν στον ίδιο χώρο, δεν σημαίνει ότι ζουν και στον ίδιο χρόνο ή τουλάχιστον ότι βιώνουν τον χρόνο με τον ίδιο τρόπο. Αυτό δεν κάνει τον κόσμο χειρότερο, απλώς πιο πολύπλοκο. σα(ρε)μάλι

14.   Ναι, βεβαίως. Σων, φέρε τα λεφτά του Ανθόνιο.

Ripple

• Semi-Newbie
In regards to your Kodiak link, Luke 6:1 refers to a second and first sabbath.  I think the first sabbath refers to the first of seven sabbaths till Pentecost.  If the the "first of the sabbaths" was a common phrase, how can it be translated into the singular "first day of the week"?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
"First of the Sabbaths" is a mistranslation of the Greek.  The word μία, "one," is feminine, and must agree with the (understood) feminine word ἡμέρα, "day."  The word Σάββατον (plural Σάββατα), on the other hand, is neuter.  In Greek, "first of the Sabbaths" would have to be πρῶτον τῶν Σαββάτων, and "one of the Sabbaths" would have to be ἓν τῶν Σαββάτων.  Μία τῶν Σαββάτων means "(day) one of the Sabbaths," i.e. of a seven-day period from one Sabbath to the next.  See Liddell/Scott/Jones' authoritative Greek-English Lexicon s.v. Σάββατον.
« Last Edit: 25 Dec, 2006, 19:37:58 by billberg23 »

Ripple

• Semi-Newbie
Billberg, thank you for your interest. 

I don't have any Greek, so help me to be clear on this.  You are saying that what is written in the original Greek new testament, for the six references mentioned above, it is impossible to get to "first of the sabbaths"?  What would be your best translation of those six references?  It intrigues me because the phrase, first of the sabbaths, would have been a common Jewish phrase. 
« Last Edit: 28 Dec, 2006, 23:10:33 by Ripple »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
You are saying that what is written in the original Greek new testament, for the six references mentioned above, it is impossible to get to "first of the sabbaths"? 
Absolutely impossible, if you want it to mean "first sabbath of a number of sabbaths."  It can only mean, as I've already suggested, "first day (or day one) of [a number of days between two] sabbaths,"  i.e., first day of the six, seven, or eight day period from sabbath to sabbath (depending on whether you're counting inclusively or exclusively).

I had no idea that "first of the sabbaths" "would have been a common Jewish phrase."  All I know is ancient Greek;  I'm not a biblical scholar. I urge you to consult one who is, if you have further questions.

Daniel007

"First of the Sabbaths" is a mistranslation of the Greek.  The word μία, "one," is feminine, and must agree with the (understood) feminine word ἡμέρα, "day."  The word Σάββατον (plural Σάββατα), on the other hand, is neuter.  In Greek, "first of the Sabbaths" would have to be πρῶτον τῶν Σαββάτων, and "one of the Sabbaths" would have to be ἓν τῶν Σαββάτων.  Μία τῶν Σαββάτων means "(day) one of the Sabbaths," i.e. of a seven-day period from one Sabbath to the next.  See Liddell/Scott/Jones' authoritative Greek-English Lexicon s.v. Σάββατον.

The usual Greek phrase for Sabbath day is:  ἡμέρᾳ τῶν σαββάτων (Luke 4:16).  What I see is that you make a proper point.  The word "day" is implied by the feminine word for "one".   So the result is:

τῇ μιᾷ [ἡμέρᾳ] τῶν σαββάτων =  the first Sabbath [day]   or "One [day] of the Sabbaths"

It appears that this is simply the usual phrase for the sabbath day with the word "first" or "one" put on the front.  While "one" must agree with "day", it is obvious that "day" does not have to agree in either number or gender with "sabbaths".  So,  I fail to see how this gender argument makes "sabbaths" mean "week", since the gender clash is already in the usual phrase for the Sabbath day.
      You make the point that "first of the Sabbaths" requires the Greek ordinal number πρῶτοv .   This is is probably so in Modern Greek to Byzantine Greek, but the Gospels reflect a Hebrew or Aramaic idiom where the word "echat" or "echad" means both "one" and "first".   This point was made by John Calvin in his commentaries on these passages.  He even thought that Acts 20:7 refered to the Sabbath and cited John Chrysostom as having the same opinion.  I have been unable to find Calvin's source on Chrysostom.
      It would be possible to take this one step further.  The phrase is a pure semiticism for "Echat ha- shabbattot"  (first of the Sabbaths), because the word "Echat" is feminine to agree with "Shabbatot" (Hebrew fem. plural for 'sabbaths").    It would seem then that the phrase "first of the Sabbaths" was borrowed into Greek from a Hebrew or Aramaic designation for the first of the seven Sabbaths mentioned in Leviticus 23:15.
     If you have any sources other than the resurrection passages or Acts 20:7, 1Cor. 16:2, or Luke 18:12 which would show an unambiguous meaning of "week" for "Sabbath" inside the first century,  I'd like to know about it.
     I read an article by E. Vogt --it's in German in Biblica.  He denies that 'sabbath' meant week.   Also, C.S. Mann in the Anchor Bible of Matthew questiones it.   The Catholic Encyclopedia suggests that   "Shabbat" was confused with "Sheba" (seven) early on by the Church.
     I understand your argument from the point of view of "pure Greek", but I think the semitic influence needs to be accounted for.

Daniel.

« Last Edit: 11 Apr, 2009, 21:41:07 by Daniel007 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Thank you, Daniel, for your learned and very helpful commentary!  It clarifies a great deal.

I read an article by E. Vogt --it's in German in Biblica.  He denies that 'sabbath' meant week.   Also, C.S. Mann in the Anchor Bible of Matthew questiones it.   The Catholic Encyclopedia suggests that   "Shabbat" was confused with "Sheba" (seven) early on by the Church.
And thanks for these references.  I wonder if we could get a more specific citation than just "Biblica" for the Vogt article?

Daniel007

Thank you, Daniel, for your learned and very helpful commentary!  It clarifies a great deal.
And thanks for these references.  I wonder if we could get a more specific citation than just "Biblica" for the Vogt article?

Vogt, E., S.J.  "Hat 'sabbat' im A.T. den Sinn von 'Woche'?  Biblica 40 (1959), pages 1008-1010.

A.T = Old Testament.   Vogt deals with the "Sabbath" = "Week" hypothesis in the O.T.   As far as I know the earliest use of the Greek term for "week" is in Didache 8.1. 

Here is another resource that is useful on this topic.

http://www.torahtimes.org/images/ChartoftheWeek02.jpg

I've been trying to get to the bottom of the Syriac side of the question, but the Syriac forum is having a problem right now.

Daniel

sven

• Semi-Newbie
@ Daniel007 are you German?

Adolph Ernst Knoch the translator of the Concordant New Testament holds the opinion that Jesus' ressurection was on a Sabbathday, he gives arguments  in his book "Das Geheimnis der Auferstehung".

I asked a Jewish internetfriend about his opinion, he thinks the traditional translation might be correct but isn't sure, he has no Greek knowledge. About Luke 18:12 he told me, when Jews fast they fast a whole day, so twice a Sabbath makes no sense for him he said, but he told me Muslims speak in this manner that they make a day into two parts, maybe ancient Jews did the same so twice a Sabbath might be right translation of Luke 18:12

what's your opinion Daniel007, does mia tôn sabbatôn necessesarily mean first day of the week or could it also mean one of the Sabbath(day)s?

Search Tools