Kατεσκευάσθη τὸ ἱερὸν τοῦτο ποτήριον ... ἐν ἔτει ,αω'α' -> Τhis holy cup was made ... in the year 1801

Holygrail

• Semi-Newbie
Hello. Can anybody translate this ancient greek text found on an ancient Grail. It is really important for me to know what is this Grail about. Thnx.

Video of the Grail http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=s0y6ig&s=5

Pic of the Grail. http://i43.tinypic.com/2dgwdxh.jpg

If you have any question email me at holygrail2010yahoo.com.
« Last Edit: 20 Apr, 2010, 03:40:34 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
We're having a hard time associating the photo of the cup with the video of the incription.  Are you sure we're looking at the same object in both?  No inscription appears in the photo.
Ηas either the cup or the inscription been discussed on the Internet?
The video photography is not terribly clear.  We need a transcription, and a Byzantine epigraphist to work out all the ligatures.  I can just make out the names Nikolaos and Philon (the latter in the genitive).  At the bottom is a date:  ΕΝ ΕΤΕΙ ΑΩΑ, which apparently means "in the year 1801."  If that's actually a reference to 1801 C.E., then there's nothing ancient about the inscription.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr, 2010, 06:41:53 by billberg23 »

Holygrail

• Semi-Newbie
Yes the video and the pic are by the same object. the writing is on the end of the grail. No inscription appears in the photo because the pic is taken from upside and the video is taken on the front. I discussed at yahoo answer to a few days ago. If you need something else about this grail plz ask me.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AvlAQNAIjHCPFWyLh39eWb7sy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20100417110022AAoszgz

billberg23

• Words ail me.
With the date of 1801, we don't think it's even pretending to be ancient.  However, if the cup is in your possession, it would be helpful if you'd write down the inscription, carefully copying each character.  Scan and send it to us, and we might be able to decipher it for you — if you still think it's worthwhile, that is.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr, 2010, 19:28:56 by billberg23 »

Holygrail

• Semi-Newbie
I wrote down the inscription. The lines are spaces between words.

Text image. http://i40.tinypic.com/xmlbup.jpg

mavrodon

This is not a text in ancient Greek. It is what is called καθαρεύουσα (official language). Waiting for Billberg more authorative decoding of the Byzantine letters, I am offering my interpretation from what I can make out from the text.

ΚΑΤΕΣΚΕΥΑΣΘΗ ΤΟ ΙΕΡΟΝ ΤΟΥΤΟ ΠΟΤΗΡΙΟΝ ΔΙΑ ΣΥΝΔΡΟΜΗΣ ΤΟΥ ΕΥΓΕΝΕΣΤΑΤΟΥ ΑΡΧΟΝΤΟΣ ΚΥΡΙΟΥ ΦΙΛΩΝΟΣ ΕΠΙΤΡΟΠΕΥΟΝΤΟΣ ΑΞΙΟΠΡΕΠΩΣ ΕΝ ΤΩ ΙΕΡΩ ΝΑΩ ΤΟΥ ΑΓΙΟΥ ΔΗΜΗΤΡΙΟΥ ΚΑΤΑ ΛΕΒΑΔΕΙΑΝ ΠΑΡΑ ΧΕΙΡΟΣ ΝΙΚΟΛΑΟΥ
ΕΝ ΕΤΕΙ ΑΩΑ
This holy grail was made with a donation from his excellency nobleman Mister Philon  acting respectably as churchwarden of the Holy Church of St Demetrius in Levadia  made by Nicholas
In the year 1801
« Last Edit: 20 Apr, 2010, 03:18:59 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Beautiful, clear transcription, HG!  Excellent deciphering and translation, Mavrodon!  Couldn't have done better — well, I might have called Philon "Master" or "Lord" instead of "Mister," but hey, what's the difference?  (-:
« Last Edit: 20 Apr, 2010, 03:29:19 by billberg23 »

mavrodon

Thank you, dear Billberg for your flattering words. Unfortunately, I had no classical education, as I graduated from a high school of commerce, 50 years ago, and did not study but minimal ancient Greek. Few people in my country can equal your knowledge and expertise in ancient Greek. I am sorry I have intruded in your realm! Whenever you decide to visit Thessaloniki, I would be happy to meet you.

Search Tools