What's the difference between καὶ ὁ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος and καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος? (John 1:1)

Offline sunovsam

• Semi-Newbie
Hi all,
 i was wondering if anyone could help me out with this issue i am having,
I need to know what the difference is between these two phrases

01.και ο θεος ην ο λογος
02.και θεος ην ο λογος

01 I know "ο" makes θεος a definite article ex. "the God" or plainly "God"
02 does the lack of "ο" indicate that θεος is an indefinite article? ex. "a God"

This is really confusing to me and any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

~SOS~
« Last Edit: 24 Apr, 2010, 01:35:59 by billberg23 »

Offline billberg23

• Words ail me.
Judging by the lengthy commentary in the Jehovah's Witness Bible, theologians and biblical scholars have been dining out on this question for a long, long time.  Ink by the gallon has been spilled over it. 
We should say at the outset that all (or at least most) manuscripts and editions of John have no article before θεός.  At the same time, we should say that, as a predicate nominative, θεός, whether it means "God" or "a god" or "the god,"  needs no article according to the rules of Greek grammar, and would probably not have had an article in any case.  I think most people are content to assume that John meant to set up an identity between God and the λόγος ("Ι and the Father are one," etc.).
Jerome, by the way, who translated the Bible into Latin (the so-called "vulgate"), got off easy with his "et Deus erat verbum," since Latin has no article at all.
Anyway, sonovsam, take your local theologian out to dinner and get an earful!  ((-;
Τί δέ τις; Τί δ' οὔ τις; Σκιᾶς ὄναρ ἄνθρωπος. — Πίνδαρος

Offline sunovsam

• Semi-Newbie
Thanks billberg i think your response was very enlightening :)
The context of the whole must be be considered in situations like these to understand truly what the author is trying to get across.
Very much appreciated.

Search Tools