Translation Environment Tool (TEnT) -> εργαλείο μεταφραστικού περιβάλλοντος, εργαλείο περιβάλλοντος μετάφρασης

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
Translation Environment Tool (TEnT) -> εργαλείο μεταφραστικού περιβάλλοντος;

Here’s why I use the phrase "translation environment tool" (TEnT):
Ironically, the language industry has created very poor names for a number of things in the translation industry. One of my pet peeves is "localization" (or, worse, "l10n"). Though I've given up on changing that, I would like to change the way we use "CAT" and "translation memory tool."
CAT, or computer-assisted translation tools, is a great term for describing the numerous families of software tools that translators use for their work (see above). Unfortunately, we often use "CAT" as a synonym with so-called "translation memory tools," when the latter is really only a sub-category of the former.
I also think that the term "translation memory tool" is not serving us well. "Translation memory" is just one feature included in tools like Trados, Heartsome, Déjà Vu, Transit, etc.—albeit an important one. Terminology management, analysis, code protection, project management, batch processing, spell checking, code page conversion, and many more features are also part of these tools. In fact, some of these features, especially terminology management, are or should be central to how we work with these tools. But by naming this category of tools "translation memory tools," we focus almost exclusively on this one feature, and in turn overuse it disproportionally.
The phrase "translation environment tool" describes much more accurately the various ways that we should use these tools in our translation work.
Translation Environment Tools (TEnTs)
« Last Edit: 15 Apr, 2013, 12:29:58 by spiros »

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou

Search Tools