sarcloir -> spud (gardening tool)

Frederique

• Creative, Hardworking and Able!

sarcloir -> spud

Un sarcloir est un outil de jardinage, servant à arracher les mauvaises herbes, sans retourner la terre comme avec une binette.

(>binette)

Un sarcloir est constitué d'un manche, au bout duquel se trouve généralement trois griffes de métal, permettant de gratter la terre en surface.
Wikipédia

[…]While reading your most recent newsletter on Must Have Garden Tools, I wondered what a "spud" tool is that you use for weeding. I googled it and got something that was called a bark spud; look kind of like a wood plane tool. I was thinking it was something like the old fashioned dandelion digger my husband yells at me for using. I think digging the weeds up from the roots gets them out of the yard faster; he wants to just spray chemicals on them and watch them die.[…]
Source: doug green's simple gifts farm

The etymology of spud is that this name for a small potato comes from the digging of soil (or a hole) prior to the planting of potatoes. The word is of unknown origin and was originally (c. 1440) used as a term for a short knife or dagger, probably related to Dutch spyd and/or the Latin "spad-" root meaning "sword"; cf. Spanish "espada", English "spade" and "spadroon". The word spud traces back to the 16th century. It subsequently transferred over to a variety of digging tools. Around 1845 it transferred over to the tuber itself.
Wikipedia

Communicate. Explore potentials. Find solutions.

Search Tools