Translation of English proper names into Greek

melenia · 11 · 3457

melenia

Δεν βρήκα κάποια στοιχεία για παλιότερη συζήτηση σχετικά με τη μετάφραση κύριων ονομάτων  - και κυρίως ονοματεπωνύμων -οπότε θέτω το εξής ερώτημα:  what should be done in a non-fiction text full of proper names according to you?
« Last Edit: 06 Aug, 2010, 14:34:38 by wings »
It ain't over till it's over.

evdoxia

• Translator | Reviewer | Merenda |
You mean proper nouns in general?
Translation is the art of failure – Umberto Eco

melenia

In this case I mean personal names, not propern nouns in general (not names of cities, rivers, buildings etc). Names like Oprah Winfrey and Martin Luther King and even Newton (+ what happens when all of them coexist in the same text). Newton is Νευτων ή Νευτωνας and, as wings correctly pointed out, it's hard not to say  Νευτων as it's been like that for ages. But what happens if the rest of the proper names -in the same text, I have to stress that cause it's important- are not famous people's names. They're just ordinary people's names. What then? Would you transliterate all the names in the text? Would you transliterate some? Would you choose not to translate or transliterate any?
I was taught-ages ago - that we never translate people's names. Has that rule changed since? And if yes then what about names such as Luther (Λούθηρος) and Newton (Νεύτων)?

Princessa

I don't think that the rule has changed. However we tend to translate certain names (famous people like Μαρτίνος Λούθηρος and Ισαάκ Νεύτων as you mentioned). On the other hand we also tend to say "Πλατεία Κάνιγγος" και "οδός Κοδριγκτώνος" (τα οποία υποτίθεται ότι είναι άκλιτα). I believe that if you transliterate "Νιούτον" nobody in Greece will understand who he is. I would translate the names of the famous people (γιατί όπως και να το κάνεις εμείς οι Έλληνες όταν μάθουμε κάτι, το έχουμε μάθει... δεν το αλλάζουμε με τίποτα) and transliterate the names of the less famous people.

melenia

Αν συναντούσες το όνομα Οprah θα ήξερες ποια είναι; Ή μάλλον ένας κοινός αναγνώστης θα ήξερε λες;

Princessa

Αν συναντούσες το όνομα Οprah θα ήξερες ποια είναι; Ή μάλλον ένας κοινός αναγνώστης θα ήξερε λες;

Ειδικά την Oprah νομίζω ότι πλέον την ξέρουν όλοι στην Ελλάδα ή τουλάχιστον την έχουν ακουστά. Το Σκάι εδώ και κάποια χρόνια δείχνει τις εκπομπές της.

jleonardo

• Semi-Newbie
It is great that translation of English proper names into Greek is a great thinking but the rule of the grammar is the same in all the languages and there is a perfect names of the famous peoples. Well, proper nouns are in general are the same in the English and also in a Greek, only the difference is that, it is mentioned in the another form.

melenia

Thanks you but my dilemma remains. There are sooooo many names in my book (some of famous people and some not)  that for the first time in my life I don't know if I should translate some and transcribe others. Even if I keep names such as Oprah, what do I do with other names such as say... Alis (on its own in an example), Alisara Chirapongse (comletely insignificant blogger), etc. And if I choose to transcribe them all... well I haven't got a clue how to pronounce half of them!

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
You should probably consult the publisher and their editor, Melenia.

Princessa

You should probably consult the publisher and their editor, Melenia.

Στο τελευταίο βιβλίο που μετέφρασα μου ζητήθηκε να γράφω τα ονόματα όπως ήταν (με λατινικούς χαρακτήρες).

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Ναι, γι' αυτό πρότεινα στη Μαρία να ρωτήσει τον εκδότη.

Search Tools